Blood Lust

Drew

As hunting season has arrived, I find myself amazed that after 40 plus years of hunting and fishing pretty much anything that swims, flies or runs, I still get amped up like a kid on Christmas Eve!!! I still have trouble sleeping the night before a hunting or fishing trip!! I still spend multiple days preparing with excitement prior to each trip.

At the conclusion of every season I am sad and have doubt creep in as to how many more seasons there are for someone of my age and then another season comes and the excitement is there again. It is amazing!!!!

God willing it never goes away!!

Headed to the prairies next week. I will meet you over the next rise young fella where the birds landed. Keeping the fire burning after 58 years of doing the same Drew. God Bless.

Good luck Wind River. I am headed to Eastern Oregon in two weeks and I can't wait!!

I can never sleep before I leave for a trip or trial or hunt test until after the first day is over and then I sleep like a baby!
Best feeling in the world.

I'll be pointing my 1 ton west on the 18th. Hopefully rolling into Ontario the morning of the 20th. Looking forward to new country and new birds!

I'll be in the area the 25th. If you need some with some birdy locations let me know.

Thanks Drew! I didn't see any brood survey info for huns. Is that something they don't do?

I have never seen a survey on Huns in Oregon. Odd, because every now and then, I run into a few. Not many, but a few.

I have picked out a couple spots in Idaho I'll try for huns. Was hoping not to have to border hop to much but I would like to target them as well.

Good luck. If you have a little extra time, check out the Weiser area, especially the draws along the Snake River and Brownlee Reservoir. Lots of quail and chukar. Most importantly, it is all public land.

I'll have 7.5 days to hunt. 24 hours of driving on each side really burns up the vacation time tho! I've been planning this trip since last year and it's coming up quick now.

I've got Thanksgiving week off and depending on how this trip goes I could be back.

Good luck, I am headed to Portland to visit some family and then hunt my way back to eastern Oregon. I am hoping to find a Mountain quail or two. They are on my bucket list. Let me know if you need any directions.

I have been hunting for a long time too. I still get excited come fall, but am not the same person I was say 20 years ago. Shorter trips ... I like a couple-hour hunt close to home 3-4 times a week vs. expeditions. I have shifted from a 60% time waterfowler to 80% time upland hunter over the last 10 years or so. Far better hours, less equipment, and far less stress ....

Preparation is half the fun ... well not really, but I enjoy preparing for trips and loading the truck up.

I have a 3-month-old Brittany puppy so I am far from done yet.

Good luck, I am headed to Portland to visit some family and then hunt my way back to eastern Oregon. I am hoping to find a Mountain quail or two. They are on my bucket list. Let me know if you need any directions.
Was that you parked off 20 with Utah plates and an aluminum atv trailer? I've got some huns and valley quail. Chukar are kicking my but. Complete opposite of what I expected. But man am I having fun!

No sir. I was hunting along Hwy 20 for two partial days though. I was in a grey Nissan Titan. I tried for some mountain quail on my way east from Portland. I saw 6 or so of the wily little guys but they are pretty spooky. They started running when I got within 100 yards and flew when I got within 70 yards. However, I did have a great hunt on California quail and killed pheasants every day and even lucked into two coveys of Hungarian Partridge and managed to kill one. The Oregon Game and Fish upland forecast was accurate. Lots and lots of quail.

Attachments

• Oregon Oct 2.jpg
    Oregon Oct 2.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Oregon Oct 2023 1.jpg
    Oregon Oct 2023 1.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 45
No sir. I was hunting along Hwy 20 for two partial days though. I was in a grey Nissan Titan. I tried for some mountain quail on my way east from Portland. I saw 6 or so of the wily little guys but they are pretty spooky. They started running when I got within 100 yards and flew when I got within 70 yards. However, I did have a great hunt on California quail and killed pheasants every day and even lucked into two coveys of Hungarian Partridge and managed to kill one. The Oregon Game and Fish upland forecast was accurate. Lots and lots of quail.
Good grief look at those quail… I had never considered Oregon upland hunting until you came along.

Eastern Oregon is absolutely a riot for quail and chukar. This last weekend we were commonly seeing coveys of 50 birds and ran across one covey that easily had 100 birds in it. What was pretty cool was the number of quail that still had pin feathers, they were tiny and could barely fly.

It was pretty incredible. 4 of us went, we stayed 3 days and killed 120 quail (limit), 9 roosters and 1 Hungarian partridge. If you need some help to some general locations let me know. The Huns were a surprise. We kicked up three coveys of Huns and got one. I found a spot that had more Chukar than I have ever seen. It was day three I was tired and my dog was wore out so we did not pursue them. However, I am headed back on November 15 and hunting through the 19th. The numbers of quail were in line with what Oregon Game and Fish predicted! Great numbers and lots of young birds. There is one particular State Wildlife Management Area south of Drewsey, along the Malheur River that had oodles of quail last year. I didn't get a chance to hunt it in October but I will in 2 weeks.

Let me know, if you need help with directions.

Attachments

• Oregon Oct 2023 1.jpg
    Oregon Oct 2023 1.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 16
Back