Birds Near Hodgeman??

Soonerhead

Hi all. I am going to be hunting with either a buddy or by myself with a green GSP, (7 months old.) What I'm wanting to know is if I am wasting my time hunting in the northwest corner of Hodgeman county? I do not know the area, but it doesn't look as full of agriculture as I would have thought. Any feedback will be greatly welcomed. Also, will I have the best luck staying close to fencerows, or should I stay on the harvest fields? Also, is a water source nearby, very important? Thank you all again,

Stacy

There should be birds, although I haven't been there for awhile.

stick27Jan09032.jpg

You will encounter some stone post in the area, don't worry it won't affect the birds.

stick27Jan09044.jpg

I did a couple days worth of pre-season scouting in the county next door and it is looking better than the last few seasons for young birds. The crops are out for the first time in awhile, which is a big deal when it comes to opener success. All we need is some moisture and the opener in that area should be good.

Really? Looks like it may rain and turn clod a couple days before opening morning. I sure do hope it's good, cause I may be going with just me and my pup. Should be interesting. It's her first time out, but I tell you what, I can't wait to get out there!!! I feel like a kid again just thinkin' about it!

Really? Looks like it may rain and turn clod a couple days before opening morning. I sure do hope it's good, cause I may be going with just me and my pup. Should be interesting. It's her first time out, but I tell you what, I can't wait to get out there!!! I feel like a kid again just thinkin' about it!

"Just you and your pup" have a better chance of a limit than you might think. I've always done well alone in the early season CRP with one dog. Oh, and many locals have their doubts about the rain....don't know why but they do. It was bone dry for the youth opener so I'm hoping the forecasters are correct!

So are the CRP fields and the WIHAs pretty much the same? And should I stick to fencerows and thickets, or hit the crops? My dog is green and I haven't been to Kansas in so long, I prolly am too, lol. What do you suggest? Reason I ask is that my son is 7 and next year begins the "annual pheasant hunt," so I'd like to get him into this if at all possible! I know findin' birds would help. Thank you Sir,

Stacy

Thank you sooo much!!! I'll take all the help I can get. My son is my life, so if he can share and enjoy one of my passions and and I could pass this on to him, well, what else in the world could a man ask for?!?!? Thanks again,

Stacy

Back