Birds in Nebraska?

bknight

I wish this forum was more active. Some of my fondest memories are rooted in my trips to Nebraska. Are there any birds left there? I know the drought really hammered them but are they rebouning any. I like to hunt but don't want to shoot the last ones. Need to have some left for seed!

Nebraska is still one of my favorite states to chase birds in. Last year was pretty darn good and I have a feeling this year will be even better.:cheers:

I was in NB this spring Turkey hunting and saw more pheasants and quails than I have in the last several years. If they had good weather for nesting there were plenty to breed in SW Nebraska.

Hey fragler,
I also live in Lafayette CO. How's the public access in SW Nebraska for pheasants? It'd be nice to be able to jump over after hunting NE CO.
Bob

Hey fragler,
I also live in Lafayette CO. How's the public access in SW Nebraska for pheasants? It'd be nice to be able to jump over after hunting NE CO.
Bob[/QUOTE

Public access is decent. Bird numbers have been up and down the last two seasons in the SW but there are still good pockets. I spent more time hunting in the sandhill country last year for a mixed bag of sharpies, prairie chicken and pheasants.

Thanks for all of your replies. It is great to think thatthe birds are coming back. Nebraska is one of my favorite places to hunt. The people are nce usually and I have really enjoyed my trips there in the past.

The habitat was much better last year in Nebraska. There was heavy hail in the area we hunted so there were not many birds around. We had a nice time though. I think the birds should be making a bit of a rebound this year.

Don't waste your time in southeast Ne

I've been out 5 times in Southeastern Nebraska and have seen 2 grouse, 1 pheasant and about a dozen quail. I shot the 2 grouse. Heavy rains in spring did a number on the pheasants.

Birds eastern Nebraska

I have hunted my entire life.. Birds are scarce in these parts now if u ask me .. 4 yrs ago I started raising my own pheasant and quail to release on private property for my own stock,I do 200 pheasant and 400 quail each year.. This late August rain wiped out 90 percent of the quail and about half the pheasant. ..the habitat here is low and if u find birds they will most likely will b on managed land that is private, public access is good but I tried that allot in my younger days with no success. I manage roughly 250 acres of bird habitat and with this years quail getting washed out i would b surprised if there numbers go up however the quail did great the previous 2 years and the numbers were great. Wish I could say the same for the pheasant. . damn predators

Back