Bird sightings

Haven't been taking the back roads to get to training grounds in a while.
If I go this Sunday,i'll let you know.

Here in central counties Ive seen a few birds when traveling the back roads (some smaller birds and hens with no broods). But from some farming relatives, where there is cover and food there is alot of birds, too bad that is hard to come by in an area that is heavily farmed and heavily mowed. Good thing was the rain delayed the mowing until late July.

only have quail where I live...this spring was the most birds I've ever heard. although I only was keeping track of birds where I fish and fun run the dogs....I have never heard them in such #'s before....all the areas I quail hunt are between 60 and 100 miles away. I'm hoping for good #s there as well. have seen some birds along the roads...have not seen any young ones though.

I've got to get out and take a look. Life has chanced since the little-ones starting showing up. lol

Hopefully I can take a look within a week or two. Saw a number of birds this spring though.

Nick

First week of sept I'll be up
Planting food plots and setting stands. I always drive back roads looking for quail. Can't wait to get out and see some quail in Eastern IL. I'll let yall know what I see and hear on birds.

My dad called last night. He saw a brood of pheasants crossing the street on the north end of the county (McHenry). He said the roosters were just starting to get their wattles in.:)

Nick

My dad called as well, said he had a brood run out of the waterway infront of the service truck really early in the morning. Good to hear from him due to all the rain in that area. :thumbsup:

I was in Crawford County IL and did not see any quail this week but did see several rabbits and a local fella told me he has seen more quail this year than he has in about 5 years. A lot of bugs out while we were putting in food plots so should be plenty to eat.

Man O' man. I took some back roads to a family get-together yesterday. My wife was in the car so driving slow looking for pheasants wasn't really an option:rolleyes:. Still looked around anyway.

I had a bummer moment. The 80 to 100 acre field where the rooster in the photo was photographed a few years back---the habitat was all plowed under and put into corn. Won't be seeing pheasants over there any more.

That's the 3rd one this year:(

picture.php

I have a little 10 acre field that always produced at least 4 birds every time I walked it disapeared as well.It was a go to spot if I needed a bird to finish a limit,broke my heart seeing beans in its place.

Just got done with a work day (removing invasive autumn olive) at PF Forever Fields up near Victoria, IL and as we were leaving (mid day) a nice old rooster walked right out infront of the truck and across the road. Glad to see birds up there.

Just for the information, the Forever Fields will be completely burned and reseeded this fall, hunting will still be available but they are doing a massive project to get more pollinator and better habitat.

Just got done with a work day (removing invasive autumn olive) at PF Forever Fields up near Victoria, IL and as we were leaving (mid day) a nice old rooster walked right out infront of the truck and across the road. Glad to see birds up there.

Just for the information, the Forever Fields will be completely burned and reseeded this fall, hunting will still be available but they are doing a massive project to get more pollinator and better habitat.

Glad to hear you are putting in some help for the birds:thumbsup:

I was in Crawford county over weekend and saw only two quail. A lot of mowing and saw a few more fence rows taken out.

I was in Crawford county for 5 days deer hunting and never saw a quail. Not that I was out beating the bushes but hoped to see some.

Hunted Iroquois County a little this morning. Very windy 30+mph and much colder.

1. Hunted one little mini-ditch and put up a cock but out of range.

2. Hunted a little longer ditch that produced a cock and 5 hens but we couldn't get a shot at the wily bird.

3. Hunted a place we call the Walter Payton ditch because in the 70's he would hunt there every now and again. Walked in about 10 feet and my dog goes on point. Hen.... He chased a little then came back and pointed the same spot. Hen..... Off to a good start.

A few hundred yards later he goes on point again. 2 more hens. My buddies dog goes on point on the side of this ditch that has to be a 60 degree angle. Dog is locked tight and he can't get him to flush it so he has to risk climbing down. I told him not to worry as I would shoot the bird so he didn't have to risk falling down.:D Hen.

A hundred yards further up a cock flushes wild off the edge of the ditch, He misses twice on a too long shot. About 10 feet from where that cock flushed a deer came flying out of the ditch probably 3 feet in front of him. As I'm watching that I hear rustling in the weeds right below me. Coyote! Then 2 more hens.

A little further down dog locks up on 2 more hens and we flushed out a little buck too.

Didn't bag a bird but that was one heck of a good ditch even if it is named after a bear.

I've briefly checked on (pheasant) areas over the last few weeks. Birds are looking good. Very good carry over going into spring:thumbsup:

It won't be long until the roosters start cackling and claiming breeding territory.

Anyone else been checking on birds lately?

Nick

Ive been running my pup in the wildlife area just north of me about every other day and havent seen nor heard a bird yet. Getting very frustrating. Need to start hitting some other areas to get her on a few.

Edit to add:
Good grief. My kid pulled a small tick off of him yesterday and I just found one between my two shirts. Too early for this crap to begin

Last edited:
I think the weather up here has birds on the quite side thus far. Only a few people have heard roosters cackling. There has been however a number of people seeing them. More than usual. That's a good sign. There's been a few sightings right behind and around my shop too:thumbsup:

How's things down state?

Nick

Back