Bird Numbers

mnjimmer

I've been to several of my better late season spots recently and I'm just not seeing as many birds as the last few years. I've had some very good hunts, but most of my outings have been very poor. With most of the crops now gone I expected the late season hunting to be very good. In my opinion, the DNR was right on with their surveys, I think we have lost about half our pheasants in the last 2 years.

What are the rest of you guys finding?

Are you hunting public land? (WMA's)

Up until now those WMA's were getting hit pretty hard. You may be hunting them thinking you are the first one there, but in reality there could have been 1 or 2 groups that have already pushed the area that day.

This latest weather should be concentrating birds into the heaviest cover now that the corn is all but done. The best cover will now stick out like a sore thumb.

If it makes you feel any better I've been having below average success this year on public lands as well. Pick an area preferably in Western or SW where the density is a little better and where there is an abundance of public lands and just start hitting them. If you can get out during the week you won't have much in the way of competition, which is always a blessing. Also, make best use of the last hour before sunset as the birds will be moving to roosting cover.

Last edited:
I don't see any differance. Same as the past 5or6 years where I have gone. Private land. Public has been the same it always is. over hunted. Your lucky to be the one that has a fantastic day on most publics. Some have several birds but there might be a giant cattail slough where you can't get at them, so lucking out when they move out of those is all you can hope for. I will have a better idea around here as far as #'s, after this weekend. I am going to hit small spots and cruise around to see whats feeding in the fields. I saw a 20 pack earlier today. And thats standard for that spot. I hope we haven't lost that many, It has been fun for some time now.

Up until last weekend this has been an awesome season for finding numerous birds. Last weekend I was expecting much of the same with crops down but only took 1 for the weekend.

Back