Bird Launchers

shorthairs4life

Well I'm looking into getting a bird launcher and don't know anything about what or who makes a good launcher. I've noticed there's a large price range depending on the options but what options do you really need.
Look forward to getting the advice. It really paid off with the last request on the shock collar.

If I were to purchase a bird launcher today I would have to seriously look at the DT Systems launcher. If nothing else the easy loading feature alone sells this launcher. Less chance of losing or injuring the bird when loading. Most of the others load from the top where you have to close the two sides down over the bird and lock in place. This one is loaded from the back after the spring has been set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmGnwmw3_cc

Last edited:
I was in the market for a bird launcher earlier this year so I called a professional trainer that I had been working with to get his thoughts. He recommended that I meet him and see if my weim would point a launcher before I dropped the cash. In his experience a lot of dogs will not hold a point on a launcher and sure enough my weim lost interest in it. He recommended just putting the birds to sleep for me. Saved me a couple hundred bucks.
If you can find one, try before you buy.

I was in the market for a bird launcher earlier this year so I called a professional trainer that I had been working with to get his thoughts. He recommended that I meet him and see if my weim would point a launcher before I dropped the cash. In his experience a lot of dogs will not hold a point on a launcher and sure enough my weim lost interest in it. He recommended just putting the birds to sleep for me. Saved me a couple hundred bucks.
If you can find one, try before you buy.

Interesting... while I have never witnessed that I suppose that anything is possible. When I have use them I always try and conceal them as best as possible, that way the dog will only be using scent and not sight. That being said, I have seen plenty of dogs (normally young one's) point a launcher in plain sight with no bird in it. Just the scent from a previously used bird was enough to get them to stop. They learn quick and soon are conditioned to expect a bird when they see or smell the launcher. They learn the game and know what's going to happen.

Dizzying birds will work providing they will stay put long enough for you to work the dog upon them. The problem arises when you try to use multiple birds, this is where the launchers have the clear advantage. You know where they are and you are in control of the situation at hand, this IMO makes the launchers more effective. You have the instant control of the flush depending on what the dog is doing.

The cost of the launcher(s) initially will be kind of spendy, but once you have them, you have them, and you can add 1 here or there as your budget allows. I will just follow up in saying that it is certainly possible to train without them, however if your steadying your dog to wing/shot they are an invaluable training tool.

Last edited:
For a guy with a smaller budget, does anyone know of a manual bird launcher that is good quality.

Has anyone used dummies in launchers, say like when you are out in the backyard training?

I have a DT 509 launcher. I have had it 2 years now with no problems. It is in indispensible tool when training by yourself..I would not be without it. It comes in real handy for a young dog because you eliminate the possiblility of them catching a bird. Once they are reliably steady I went to planting the birds.

Back