Bird Hunting in Southwest Colorado?

Is there bird hunting in Southwest Colorado?
Besides the mountain grouse /ptarmigan and dove opportunities, there are increasingly larger numbers of turkeys throughout the region. Of course, waterfowl hunting is excellent if you know where to go. Ive done very well on all of the above with the exception of doves, those seem to clear out a day prior to opening ;). Unfortunately, dont expect to find pheasants unless you buy and plant them yourself or go to a game farm and ive only seen quail on the opposite of the border with NM.

Is there bird hunting in Southwest Colorado?
There are Gambels quail along the Green and Colorado River. I used to hunt west of Grant Junction for them right along the Utah border. Its all BLM land so access is easy. I also used to jump shoot ducks and geese at a State Wildlife Management area just west of Delta. It's a big property and there are always a few pheasants there. That same area runs up a small stream called Roubidouix Creek. I jumped ducks and killed quail along that creek as well. It did hold some pheasants but not many. There are chukar along Escalante Creek which is a tributary to the Gunnison River between Grand Junction and Delta. It has good water that the chukar are pretty stable.

Back