bird hunter retiring to florida with pup?

woodsman

Just retired a few years ago and I'm looking for dog friendly retirement options in florida for a few months in the winter.I'm hoping some of you old time bird hunters would have some ideas or are already doing it now.My wife and myself never want to give up our bird dogs but we want some warm weather for a few months.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

david0311

Just retired a few years ago and I'm looking for dog friendly retirement options in florida for a few months in the winter.I'm hoping some of you old time bird hunters would have some ideas or are already doing it now.My wife and myself never want to give up our bird dogs but we want some warm weather for a few months.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Checked Florida out--hated everything about the place--found Arizona much better JMO:cheers:

If you are taking a dog to Florida, be very diligent about applying flea protection. Your dog will get fleas and bring them into the house. Once established they are hell to get rid of. You can treat the dog and house, but they're in the lawn, etc.. Once the chemicals wear off, they're right back. Personally, after living in Florida for 3 years and dealing with the flea issues, I would never recommend having a pet down there. The treatments today are more than likely a lot better than what we had in the 80's when I was there, but I still cringe thinking of what we went through with that poor dog.

We used to hunt quail, but the areas we hunted are all homes now. I lived in Citrus County for 2 of the 3 years. It was originally a beef cattle area, with large open spaces. In the 60's the population was 3,000. In the 80's when I was there it was 65,000. Today it's over 300,000.

Back