Bird exposure for pup

Little Brit

I'm not quite sure how to express this but I'll try.

While training or out for walks how often should the pup be finding birds.

Is it bad for the pup to be out running and hunting while training or out on walks and come up with nothing to show for her efforts. Will the pup get bored of working for nothing.

I have birds (pigeons) and I did the introduction to birds and planted birds for her while on check cord and after the point i would do my best to have them flush by kicking them up but most would walk away for a bit them fly.

I'm am going to buy a bird launcher so I can have more control over birds and dog at the same time.

Any suggestions

In a loose interpretation of Delmar Smith's idea of "happy timing" as long as the pup is having fun it's all good.

I have a hunting buddy who always puts out a couple of birds (pen raised quail) close to the truck when training his dogs, the idea being, he wants the dog to hit the ground hunting. I on the other hand don't have a problem taking the dogs out for a run and not having a bird contact, we can work on handling and establishing a hunting pattern or just enjoy being out.

I'm not quite sure how to express this but I'll try.

While training or out for walks how often should the pup be finding birds.

Is it bad for the pup to be out running and hunting while training or out on walks and come up with nothing to show for her efforts. Will the pup get bored of working for nothing.

I have birds (pigeons) and I did the introduction to birds and planted birds for her while on check cord and after the point i would do my best to have them flush by kicking them up but most would walk away for a bit them fly.

I'm am going to buy a bird launcher so I can have more control over birds and dog at the same time.

Any suggestions

Have you tried dizzying/putting the birds to sleep before you plant them? They wont take off until your pup or you boot them. They shouldn't be walking off on their own.

I went to a game farm once when my first pup was real young. They had a special training area in one of the field reserved just for young pups. They had chicken wire cages about 3 x 3 feet square that they would put a bird in that had its wings clipped. The chicken wire allowed scent through so pup could find and see the bird. They had one relatively small escape hole in the cage. The pup would run around the cage trying to get the bird, the bird would run around the cage frantically,try to fly, etc and pup was close enough to get real excited. Then eventually the bird would get out and run and pup could chase it down. Was a pretty neat setup for getting a young dog excited about birds.

Yeah I did about everything with the birds. I think if you dizzy the bird its hit and miss if it will fly or not. I'm gonna try weighing the bird down and letting it fly off. I need the dog under control with the check cord when approaching the bird so lets see what happens this way.

"out for walks" vs 'training."

Aren't they two different events?

As others have mentioned - while training you want the dog to have success; point, retrieve birds. However, if you're merely walking the dog for exercise, the dog doesns't need a bird in his nose at all times.

There's nothing like training on live birds; pidgeons or chuckers!

Just my take on the question...

I take the pup out to the bush or fields around my house not walking down the street. So the pup is exposed to arears I hunt if that makes any difference. When I say walk I'm just letting the pup run and play but will run into bird and rabbit scent thats why I ask the question.

there was a bird launcher that was manual or string activated.you hid the bird and there was a mechanical trigger device and you pull the string and it popped open.it was kinda like a sleeve that the bird was immobilised in
they were much less then the radio activated type .i dont know how they worked,never used one.
i thought about making one at home but never really followed through with that.had acouple of ideas ,a rat trap maybe or some rubber bands and a cage. something to spring the cage open, string activated.

My thoughts. If you dog has the drive to hunt, they will always be searching. You want them to look for scent. If you always "help' them succeed they learn to rely on you to help them find birds instead of searching on their own. We all know the difference between a dog who walks along and runs into scent and follows it and the dog who is searching every bit of cover for any trace of scent, those are the ones you long to have!

Maybe I don't understand, and since I have a long history of not understanding, I'm accustomed to the feeling, but...every time I've taken a pup out, the dog has been hunting, exploring, learning...about scents, fences, bramble, criks and swimming, and the noises and sights that make up the dog's world.

The dogs I've been with ALWAYS find something...most often, "something" I can't see or hear or register with my limited senses. But the dog knows, often stores the information, and goes on with the hunt/exploration/adventure.

The dogs I've been with teach themselves how to hunt, while I teach them directional instructions to work with me. If you put birds out, terrific--whether or not they fly or sit.

If you are working on a specific training exercise, then set the situation up for THAT exercise...whether it is release or "hup" or retrieve.

But that's such a small part of hunting training for the dog. The instinct in the pup, the experience of using its profound senses to learn about the territory, and association of being out in those circumstances with you are the great lessons of running the dog.

It is always fun.

Back