Bird Dog Found- Ulysses Kansas- 12/14

Brad6260

While packing up in Ulysses yesterday we had a beautiful friendly bird dog come racing across traffic to greet us. Well mannered with no tags and obviously a trained dog we searched around and found no evidence of anyone looking for it. Checked the obvious sources.
If anyone has lost a dog in the area drop me a line with a detailed description.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad6260@insightbb.com

You should take it to a vet. and have it scanned. It may have a microchip that may I.D. the owner.

Paul

I can only hope you weren't from out of state or far off and the owner is driving back roads day and night looking for it. I would have turned the dog over to the local police/sheriff's office.They would put the dog where it had the best chance of getting back to it's owner.

onpoint

Onpoint,

You might want to make sure you have facts as to what and who was contacted in order to do what was best for this dog before you pass judgement on someone going to lengths to prevent a dog from ending up dead on a highway.

Phird,
Yes we did get it to the vet hoping there would be a chip. no luck.

I agree, you did the right thing and i hope if my dog is ever lost a man like you happens upon her!

Onpoint,

You might want to make sure you have facts as to what and who was contacted in order to do what was best for this dog before you pass judgement on someone going to lengths to prevent a dog from ending up dead on a highway.

Phird,
Yes we did get it to the vet hoping there would be a chip. no luck.

Pass Judgment?

WTH, all I said was hope that you hadn't take the dog far from where anybody that owned it could or would ever find it.

How is a guy from Kansas going to find his lost dog when it's now in IL(As an example).

From cities web site
"We are a growing community of nearly 6,000 residents located in the Southwest corner of Kansas, 35 miles from, both, the Colorado and Oklahoma borders."

6000 people, did you talk them all?

If I lost my dog here at home in Northern Minnesota and someone picked it up and took it to Iowa with them. I think my chances of finding it just got slim to none.

Great job getting it off the hwy..cudo's to you on that and making a effort to find the owner. Here's the reality of things, a example from northern Minnesota just this last fall and how many days it can take for a owner and dog to reunite

Example
"Tonight, I on another Mn hunting site, some one who's been up North hunting Woodcock and Ruffed Grouse in your state. And we need your help.

As you know, the loss of a dog is devestating blow to any hunter and dog owner. Holly, his English Setter, went missing on Thursday. Once they realized that she was gone, they quit chasing birds and the search for Holly commenced. Unfortunately, he had to bring a hunting partner home (work obligations) but immediately returned with his wife to MN in search of her. They arrived yesterday.

Jack and his wife (Samantha) are there looking for Holly and any help would be appreciated. Jack and his wife are both Army Warrant Officers who could use your help. While they were able to extend their leave, they can't stay forever. That's where I hope that you folks come in. Holly was seen yesterday and it's hopeful that she's still OK. If anyone in the area sees Holly or can lend any assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to this thread or send me a PM and I will pass along Jack's contact info ASAP.

Below follows a description of Holly and the whereabouts:

Holly is a 4 year-old, tri-color female, 40 lbs, wearing a leather collar with nameplate, bell, and a black e-collar.

She was lost at approximately 12 noon on Thursday, October 29, 2009, between Cromwell and Cloquet, approximately one (1) mile North of Rogers lake on Fon Du Lac State Forest Road #963, West/Northwest of the gravel pit.

Thanks, folks for your help."

Final post and happy ending

Good news, she was found this AM in the woods in that area. She was cold, wet, hungry and tired, and very happy to be with her owners from what I read a bit ago.

______________________________-

Lots of things come into play. These folks had to leave and then return to try and find her. Lost on a Thursday and found on a Tuesday. 5 days later, there's no way you could have talk to every single person in the range of where that type of dog could have been.

I wasn't beating you up, great job on your efforts to find the owner and get it off the road. I just was stating I wouldn't have wanted my dog taken hundreds of miles from where I may be looking for her. That part would upset me as the dogs owner. May just be me but that's how I feel.

onpoint

Last edited:
onpoint,

You brought up some good points except that your scenario paints a perfect picture with all the bases covered by all concerned.

Unfortunately in this case as in most, decisions had to made on the spot with very limited options available. We are back in the area in ten days and will have the dog with us having made local contacts that would or should have been contacted by anyone looking to recover their dog.

Happy Holidays to all.

Sometimes "lost dogs" are left on purpose, especially on the last day of the hunt. It happens at home on the last week of the season. I have seen bird dogs roaming the roads without a collar on. I can't imagine anyone hunting a dog without their ID collar on.

Last edited:
Back