Bird Dog Bunkhouse 2016***Gettysburg, SD

Just One guy

Dukxdog
is it possible to come up alone?? I hunt mostly alone just me and my three dogs ,I'm not against hunting with others but my dogs are not perfect and honestly not to many of my circle hunt upland ,mostly waterfowl I've said for years that I was going to SD but never go I know little to nothing about your state have heard public land required Non-toxic shot ect. that said also I'm not as young as I once was and have a medical issue that might slow me down compared to others that are hunting . would love the opportunity but not sure were to Start. thanks for your Time Sean

Sean, yes solo hunters are welcome at the house. I've never had anyone feel outcast because they didn't come as part of a group. I've had several guys who have come alone and it's always worked well.

I am going to tuck this update right here. I hunted with Bobby and our group of 5 had a great time! Crops weren't in yet for the most part, but Bobby definitely gave us opportunities to get birds. It was a tough/down year for most, but if you work hard, limits are there for the taking. We stayed at Bobby's from Oct. 30-Nov. 4th, and had a variety of weather. Bobby also got us on some private land one day, and the place was loaded with birds. No extra charge! This place is no place to go if you are on a diet, because Bobby is a great cook! I hope he'll have me back sometime soon.
Pat in KC

Leave here Friday to get to Bobby’s place on Saturday. Know the bird count is down but can’t wait to get there. This is our second year and look forward to catching up with the guys from Idaho and Alaska. Regardless of bird count at the end of the week I know the comrardary and the food will be great so will call that a success for sure. Good luck to all the rest of this year.

Matt

Looking good Bobby!

Thanks!

It's actually turning out to be a pretty darn good season. Not a big surplus of birds but I've been averaging 2.65 per day.

We really got into them today. Four guys killed 12 roosters.

Lots of crops still standing but the farmers are working on getting them out of the fields. The more harvested the more birds available to hunters. Seeing plenty of hens too!

Last edited:
That is a darn good average Bobby, for a down year. One these years I'm going to have visit and hunt with you. Season should only get better as the crops come out. Wishing you continued success.

Just got back from Bobby's. Great guys, great food, great hunting even in a down year. My first hunting in 20 years with my daughter's labs first pheasant hunting experience. First day was a feeling out process . If my shooting wasn't so pathetic ld easily have limited out the next 3.

See you next year

Hey Kurt- Glad you made it home safe. Enjoyed having you here. Your daughters dog was good for a puppy. You are welcome back next season.

One other thing......you didn't mention my shooting ability......Haha!

Now the hard part How to get her some proper training for next year. This was basically all natural ability

Bobby - looks like a great hunt and environment. Are you making reservations for next fall yet?

I make up the house schedule in January. I get commitments from the guys who want to return from this past fall then fill in vacant slots. Call me march or April. Thanks.

Back