bird disease?

Can anyone tell a novice bird owner, what kinds of disease chukar,quail, and pheasant can carry? What kinds of precautions should one take.

I've doing it for awhile. Pheasants and chukars are pretty hardy. They can get sick from all domestic poultry disease, but a little terrimyicin will solve it. I would be very observant, any problems with health, any bird which seems some what off, rumpled feathers, not eating, will be a threat to the whole flock. Isolate if you can but start treating immediately. I do not routinely give medication. I raise on wire. Everything I say about pheasants and chukars, is three fold on quail. Wire is a must, they get enteritous, (sic), from the ground. They get it from the ground, and die, by then, all will have it and casualties are extreme. I realize that we have people who raise quail on the ground, but in forty years, I have seen it done, on new ground every year, and it is successful, success on the same soil is problematic. I would have a lot of space for pheasants, I do not debeak birds, because it offends me, use a lot of vegetation and greens to pick and route through. is makes pecking a bird less likely. If they peck, usually on the feet, get them out, it's the blood spot they see and peck at. Lots of knowledge needs to be gained, some first hand! We'll help if we can. Good Luck.

Coccidiosis is #1 in young birds and as oldandnew pointed out. He also right about raising them on the ground. You should have them elevated. terrimyicin in a must to have on hand. At 18 days feed them terrimyicin for 5 days. Then wait 18 days and treat them again for 5 days, until they have had three treatments. Also, extreme heat can kill them. Make sure they always have plenty of freash water. Clean your feeders often.

Onpoint

There are rare occasions. Kept it clean, in an outdoor area. Most transmissions are inside a chicken house, where ammonia and fumes gather.

Back