Big Question!

Jtoby_3

Hey guys Im a native Utahn, I grew up in Draper and had little hunting experiance. Then i decided to move away to college and, i know this sounds strange, luckily i ended up in North Dakota. Since I started I have fell in love with all upland hunting and cant get enough so obviously I have been wanting a dog for quite sometime but before i make that commitment i was wondering if haveing a dog like this in utah is worth it. I realize that bird hunting in Utah is not all that good and since i am college student i dont have the money to pay to hunt on controlled farms. Is there enough public land to hunt enough game (not just pheasants) to keep both me and my dog happy?! Thanks to anyone that helps! oh and since i have you im leaning towards a brit or springer any opinions?

I don't live in Utah but I would like to say this. Hunting with a dog no matter where you are is a thrill/joy or whatever. Once you have hunted regularly with a dog. You will not be able to go afield without one. The bird population here in Eastern Washington is down right now and getting 1 pheasant a day is an accomplishment. But Tony my Brit and I go every chance we get, just for the love of going afield together. I being a Brittany hunter, naturally will recommend a Brit for you. I have them for 40 years and they have always been a good loving companion and hunter.

Lost my Shorthair in Sept. just before Pat season opened. Lost all desire to hunt w/o a dog. Nothing like it! Just can't imagine going w/o a dog! Good luck, and it's always good hunting with your companion!:cheers:

free pointers

If your looking for a dog still i saw on gundog central free eps in western ks under puppies and pointers good luck.

I don't live in Utah but I would like to say this. Hunting with a dog no matter where you are is a thrill/joy or whatever. Once you have hunted regularly with a dog. You will not be able to go afield without one. The bird population here in Eastern Washington is down right now and getting 1 pheasant a day is an accomplishment. But Tony my Brit and I go every chance we get, just for the love of going afield together. I being a Brittany hunter, naturally will recommend a Brit for you. I have them for 40 years and they have always been a good loving companion and hunter.

If you are looking at Phez Utah is bleak at best BUT if you want to hunt birds i usually shot 5 or 6 species of game birds a year in Utah. Forest grouse (ruffed and blues) and Chukars are the staple upland game bird in Utah. If you learn to hunt them you will have plenty of hunting.....

Yep lots of chukars in Utah. I would go for a brit if my main quarry was to be chukars.

Being a Brit fan my self I would have to say ya a Brit is no doubt the way to go. We have 9year old male and 18month female and I wonder if it is worth it every year myself, until bird season comes around. We have had to change out species the last few years due to no Pheasants going on the endangered species list for Utah. We do a lot of grouse hunting blues and ruffs. Good thing about grouse hunting is surprising not a lot of people hunt them seems like, at least what I have noticed. Also if you are willing to hike a little wow lots of fun. Even aside from hunting our dogs go everywhere with us camping fishing, just cant beet a good dog.

Utah does have good bird hunting opportunities if you know where to look or are willing to put the time into finding them. Chukar and forest grouse are definitely the most plentiful. To some extend pheasant hunting can be quit good, again if you know where to look. So to answer the question about enough opportunities to keep you and the dog happy, I would say most certainly.
Now regarding dogs, I'll give you my humble opinion. If your serious about bird hunting then no question get a dog. You must decide which breed is right for you. The make-up of that decision is determined by several factors. Do you want a flushing dog or a pointer. Do you plan on doing any waterfowl hunting or upland only. What size dog do you want. Do you mind longer haired dogs or short no maintenance type only.
One thing IMO that holds true with all sporting dogs is there's a certain commitment level that comes with responsible ownership of the dog. If you want a dog that will be a quality hunting companion then make sure the dog gets plenty of exercise year round. Now the difference between an average bird dog and a very good bird dog is bird exposure, birds = bird dog. Get the dog as much exposure to birds as possible for that is the way they learn to search out and handle birds. A quality breed dog has all the tools they need naturally bread into them, they just need some guidance to help bring out the best in them.
Any well bred dog regardless of breed, will have the temperament and disposition to make a good family dog as well as hunting companion. I know people say certain breed are high strung, there can be some truth to that when considering back yard breeders. High strung dogs will produce more high strung dogs. Dogs that are breed for quality traits will produce quality dogs.
Here are my pics for pointing breeds: Germain Shorthair, Brits, Germain Wirehair. Flushing breeds: Lab, Springer.
Whichever breed you choose get it from a reputable breeder that breeds dogs for the traits and qualities you are looking for.

Definitely what?? view the versatility below, nuff said
Good luck in your search, make your own educated decision. Springers on Quail,waterfowl, and any other upland bird on the planet.
27499895.jpg

201120opening20day20002jpgcopy.jpg

AIRRIVER.jpg

PA310109copy.jpg

DSC_0163copy.jpg

copyflush.jpg

Point, back, track, retrieve, swim, hot, cold, wet dry, upland, big game, small game, waterfowl...

Drahthaar.

Always love those pictures FCS! Well, I am hearing conflicting information about the quantity of birds in Utah. I am going to be moving to Salt Lake City or within an hours drive of it in either direction. Looking for some land but you know how that goes. Are there plenty of locations within a reasonable drive from Salt Lake to hunt birds religiously. I wish there were tons of Pheasants to hunt but it just doesn't look that way in Utah. I am ok with Chukar and anything else, doesn't have to be pheasant for me. I just want to know if northern Utah is a great place for upland game hunting. I believe south western Wyoming is pretty close to Salt Lake so maybe that might be a good place to go if I get riled up about Pheasants one weekend. Fishing is my passion but read a lot of streams are clogged with people and pressured fishing just isn't my thing. I am sure I will meet people who have some "spots" but getting a dog and walking to for birds is probably going to be my new passion. Just want to make sure I get to the right places for them. Beautiful pics FCS.

Great photos, FC . . . you ARE blessed!

Back