Big 12 Snubbed

BleuBijou

Kinda figured this might just happen since there is no conference Championship game for the Big 12... Just another reason to add a championship game or have an 8 team playoff system. No wildcard team really has a shot. 2 one loss Big 12 teams snubbed. I know strength of schedule is one factor, but does a undefeated non major 5 conference team ever have a shot? not likely. Not taking anything away from the 4 teams that have made it. Should be some good games to watch for sure!!:cheers:

The conference championship games are a double edged sword.
It has cost the conference a chance to play of the National Championship several times.

Its would be hard to defeat a good team twice in a year if we added a Ch game.

But the big 12 got hosed, in my opinion.

Yesterday Ohio State was more impressive for sure . I was wanting too see what would have happened had Florida State and Ohio State lost. Who would have been in ,, Florida State, Wisconsin, both TCU and Baylor, Mississippi State. Georgia Tech.

It would have been a mess. They are going to have to go to 8 teams.

No system is going to be perfect. This is still better than no playoff. No matter how many you have in a playoff there will always be a team or two left out that felt they should have been in. But I do believe an 8 team playoff would eliminate some of that. Alabama, Florida State and Oregon were in for sure. So it came down to Ohio State, TCU and Baylor for the final spot. You could make an argument for any of those 3 to have been selected. I think Ohio State got in on strength of schedule plus the fact that their loss was early in the season and they ran off 11 straight wins since the loss. Certainly a tough pill to swallow for TCU and Baylor.

Obviously being from Ohio I think they got it right. When looking at strength of schedule and no championship game I think those are the two things that really killed the chances for Baylor and TCU. The fact that their commissioner somehow decided to call them co champions and completely disregard the head to head results didn't help them either in my opinion. I really think going forward we are not going to see the complete pantsy non conference schedule as that really hurt Baylor as they played no one outside their conference. Another interesting point was the Baylor bye weeks that were very beneficially scheduled through out the year for them in league play.

The best idea I heard all weekend was for a 6 team playoff. Give the top 2 teams a bye for the first round. That would allow the champions from the big 5 conferences to all make it and the. One additional team. That way if you have a year with 2 deserving teams from the same conference they could both get in and also if you have a team deserving from outside the big 5 conference it would give them the chance to get in also.

6 teams will be just as bad, as 5 of those spots would go to the champions of the power 5 conferences. Then, we all know a SECOND PLACE power 5 team would make up the 6th spot. Go to 8 teams and be done. At least that gives some hope to a wildcard conference. I do like how the strength of your schedule or at least your non conference schedule plays a role. I know these games are scheduled well in advance, but quit playing the patty cakes. You can find a team in the middle tier of a big 5 conference and play them. I think the committee got the 4 teams correct this year. I think the Big 12 will make some changes moving forward!:cheers:

I just don't understand how TCU drops from 3rd to 6th within a span of five days after a huge win. (By huge I mean large margin of victory, I understand beating ISU isn't that big of a win. :) No offense Iowans. :) ) I can understand them being 6th at the end, given their loss to Baylor. But if that's the case, they never should have been 3rd to begin with. I can kinda understand the justification that OSU has getting in, but on the other hand, feel like Baylor/TCU got jobbed.
I hope, or would think that this would expedite the process to go to eight. Drop a non-conference game for everyone and roll with the eight team playoff.
Also, either everyone needs to do a conference championship or no one does.

Just out of whack in the current system.

Last edited:
I just don't understand how TCU drops from 3 to 6th. I can understand them being 6th at the end, given their loss to Baylor. But if that's the case, they never should have been 3rd to begin with. I can kinda understand the justification that OSU has getting in, but on the other hand, feel like Baylor/TCU got jobbed.
I hope, or would think that this would expedite the process to go to eight. Drop a non-conference game for everyone and roll with the eight team playoff.
Also, either everyone needs to do a conference championship or no one does.

Just out of whack in the current system.

All good points!!!

Heard yesterday that Baylor has some institution called Incarnate Word on an upcoming schedule. They'd best drop that contest and replace it with somebody much more substantial ASAP.

Eight teams is the right number for the playoff: Five conference champions and three wildcards that can come from anywhere (all from the same conference, all from different conferences, all from non-Power 5 conferences or any combination that exists). There will still be moaning and groaning, but never in the history of the sport has the 9th-ranked team ever had a legitimate case that it should get to play for the national championship, so who cares? No. 8 gets in and No. 9 is left out and that's the end of that.

It's all about the money and the name. A one loss Texas or OU doesn't get left out. Baylor and TCU just don't draw the dollars of the traditional powers. Ohio State has the fans and the TV audience so they get the bid.

Even with a B12 championship game, if the B12 winner wasn't a national "brand", they would still get snubbed if there was a more marketable team from another conference available.

I think you may be on to something there Toad!! I don't think we will ever get around the money aspect of it. They could sure charge more money for commercials if it is 2 powerhouse teams and they probably travel better. Meaning their fan base. Another good point to think about! Thanks Toad!!:thumbsup:

Thanks. Just my personal opinion again, but I would say that's why there is a selection committee... Chiefly to maximize revenue. Otherwise a computer could pick the final four.

Back