Best Town for upland hunters in North Central Kansas: Hays, Salina, or Abilene ?

Planning a late hunt for pheasant and quail, and I was wondering if you guys can give us some insight? Which town is the best for hunters? Pet friendly hotels, restaurants, and access to public land? Also, any must see or places to go in the north central part of the state? Planning a December hunt and will be driving up from North Texas.

Thanks! Huntmore Vizslas

nice, i own a wire haired V and a Pudelpointer....live in Texas too. Hays is best for food and lodging.
i like to hunt north of I-70, but ask locals about hail events and avoid those areas.
quail are common.

If it were me I'd stay south and quail hunt. and by south I mean Oklahoma. I personally don't think it would be worth it to come pheasant hunt.

If it were me I'd stay south and quail hunt. and by south I mean Oklahoma. I personally don't think it would be worth it to come pheasant hunt.

lots of walk in ground with decent quail in Kansas, Oklahoma not near as much public ground and much tougher hunting than Kansas......plus you will bump a pheasant or two every day....OK, not so much.

Hey I'm not vouching for bird hunting but when I have stayed here with my dogs during Deer season this place is Top Notch. Getting no compensation just honest reporting. Wakeeney, KS
This Super Motel 8 is conveniently accessible to I-70 approximately 30 miles from Cedar Bluff Lake and 33 miles from Hays Regional Airport. The staff have always been super friendly and the Biscuits and gravy puts the finishing touches on for me! Never bird hunted there but plenty of Pheasant feathers from slobs who clean their birds by the door! I always gotta wonder? Drives my labs crazy!

The best way to hunt KS is to drive 40 miles north or south of I 70 or 54 and west of hays/pratt and find a town with a Cafe about 10 in the morning. Go to the local coffee shop and sit down for 30 minutes. Start asking bout the best place to stay in town, don't talk about hunting. Then they will ask you what your doing there. Tell them... they know someone that owns farm land or they do themselves. Buy them lunch and 50% of the time your going to get an invite to hunt. Get away from the named cities above and you will find better land and even better people. Go small and you will have a lot better time in KS.

Awesome Repy

The best way to hunt KS is to drive 40 miles north or south of I 70 or 54 and west of hays/pratt and find a town with a Cafe about 10 in the morning. Go to the local coffee shop and sit down for 30 minutes. Start asking bout the best place to stay in town, don't talk about hunting. Then they will ask you what your doing there. Tell them... they know someone that owns farm land or they do themselves. Buy them lunch and 50% of the time your going to get an invite to hunt. Get away from the named cities above and you will find better land and even better people. Go small and you will have a lot better time in KS.

Now that was an awesome post. Thanks for the reply.

Huntmore Vizslas

Good advice. Wear something - a blaze orange ball cap - so they know you're huntin'. Nod and maybe say hello to anyone whose eye you meet. Buy more than coffee even if you aren't especially hungry. If there's a gas station, fill up before you go in the cafe.

As a Kansan that has been hunting Iowa early the past several years, I'm thinking about hunting OK this year. They launched their own 'WIHA' program this year... might be a good time for quail in December.

"As a Kansan that has been hunting Iowa early the past several years, I'm thinking about hunting OK this year. They launched their own 'WIHA' program this year... might be a good time for quail in December."

Agreed, I will be hitting OK as well. Stay west, the OK Panhandle will probably be best as they had the best rains at the right time.

Huntmore Vizslas

Back