Best place to Pheasant hunt in North Dakota

Balzy

Where is the best place to Pheasant hunt and stay in North Dakota unguided? We have never hunted there before and now the boys are old enough to hunt with the 2 labs that we have. Public land or private I seen is avilable and how do you find out what is open for the public? Thanks!

Best place

I started hunting in SD about six years ago I think. Before that I couldn't find it on the map. Order the hunting atlas and pick an area. Your boys are young, so you got time on your side. I don't. Develop the area over the next several years by hunting public, hitting the ditches (harder in ND because of right of way rules) and knocking on doors. Folks out there are the best the heartland has to offer, and they'll help you out if they can. The best hunting area in ND is the one you develop yourself, with time, effort, and decent shooting. Don't expect a turkey shoot the first times you go out. I still have trips out there, especially late in the season, that the closest I get to a bird is at KFC in Watertown. It's a process that takes time. Your goal is to get your boys to love the land, the people, the small town cafes, the black Angus herds, the incredible sunsets and cloud formations, and the memories, as much as the hunting. That takes time. I'm back out there next week, and whether I hit anything or not is just a small part of the equation. So pick an area. Linton, Ashley, Forman, wherever. Find a house to rent and enjoy every minute. Make it a yearly affair, so when your boys are so busy their heads are spinning, that they can look forward to a little time with the old man.

ND public land online map

In ND the online viewer is best free version IMO because you can't see ground level in the atlas maps...don't get me wrong, i carry an atlas but never use it. I used the ARCGIS app first (download available on the website above)...it sucks except to see where you are or going. I use OnX Hunt now (paid) but can mark and save spots...also cache for remote locations so I can still find spots when not in data coverage (all of ND outside of bigger towns or interstate).

Go there! get your feet wet hunting plots, and WMA.... you will build a base line of locale's and relationships, knock on doors especially late in the season, you WILL get many more yes's than early.... I like Nov. on, better too, my experience has been in the SW corner of N. D. You might find a day rate reasonable especially late . Many farmers who charge, realize killing roosters late , means more birds next fall. roosters are more aggressive around limited food sources and push away hens .

Plots

When hunting ND, don't forget the PLOTS guide. Check the G&F website for online access. All spots are in yellow highlight. Some of the bigger sporting goods stores will have physical copies.

But as mentioned above. Just get started and get into an annual routine. Out of state hunters can get (2) 7 day hunting periods so make 2 trips if possible.

You will find birds from Red River to Montana border the further south you stay. Late season may provide more land access once deer season (rifle) is closed before Thanksgiving. But depends on if the kids are tolerant of colder temps. It's Dec now and still great temps. A little snow on the ground provides evidence birds are there or not which will excite the kids even more. And when you do see birds, you see a lot of them. Avoid opening week and first couple weeks for sure (no non-res PLOTS access on opener and there is typically a lot of crops still standing)

Most smaller hotels in small towns accommodate dogs. Or like mentioned before, rent a house. Knock on some doors and establish a few friendships with land owners for continued access.

I started hunting in SD about six years ago I think. Before that I couldn't find it on the map. Order the hunting atlas and pick an area. Your boys are young, so you got time on your side. I don't. Develop the area over the next several years by hunting public, hitting the ditches (harder in ND because of right of way rules) and knocking on doors. Folks out there are the best the heartland has to offer, and they'll help you out if they can. The best hunting area in ND is the one you develop yourself, with time, effort, and decent shooting. Don't expect a turkey shoot the first times you go out. I still have trips out there, especially late in the season, that the closest I get to a bird is at KFC in Watertown. It's a process that takes time. Your goal is to get your boys to love the land, the people, the small town cafes, the black Angus herds, the incredible sunsets and cloud formations, and the memories, as much as the hunting. That takes time. I'm back out there next week, and whether I hit anything or not is just a small part of the equation. So pick an area. Linton, Ashley, Forman, wherever. Find a house to rent and enjoy every minute. Make it a yearly affair, so when your boys are so busy their heads are spinning, that they can look forward to a little time with the old man.

Great advice no matter no matter where you hunt!

Agree with all the above said advice. Took me close to 10 years to achieve.Lots of money spent buying rounds in the bars and cafes.As I have stated before , don't just assume that every town id going to have a place to stay. Do your homework. I recommend areas where there are decent numbers of sharp tailed grouse as well. This will expand your hunt and and are quite fun to shoot.

Back