Best non tox for sweet 16

mgorvi

Would kent tungsten matrix non tox be my best bet for Belgium sweet 16. Gonna hunt some in ND wpas in the Forman area this year before dropping down to SD. I should probably buy some of those. $3 bucks a shell I bet. Finding another barrel for that gun not so easy. I'm sure this has been discussed in here somewhere.

I have used heavy shot classic double loads and it worked great on decoying ducks. I'm going to try some Kent this season... Kent seems to be a lot faster...

The Kent Tungsten has far better patterns and performance. I shot ducks and geese with their 1-1/16 oz of #5's at 1315fps out of a 97 Winchester 16ga 28" mod choke. They got the job done although a bit light for big Honkers. Had to chase down a few cripples. The dogs did a fantastic job and we lost none.

I have some Kent TM that I use in my Sweet Sixteen and my 16 ga. Citori but my TM's are the older ones that they discontinued several years ago. They are 1 1/4 oz. of #5 shot at 1,265 fps. I've used them with mixed results. I really need to get out and pattern them. I wonder if the newer TM's with 1 1/16 oz. of shot aren't better. Yes, they are spendy. I bought a case of the 1 1/4 oz. when they were closing them out for $425. That's $1.70 per shell.

Suggested solution

I formerly used my Sweet 16 almost exclusively for roosters. It did not pattern steel well with its modified barrel (steel required on public land). I sent the barrel to Briley and had a set of steel capable choke tubes installed. It works perfectly but I have returned to shooting old doubles (Parkers) at roosters. The Sweet Sixteen is retired for now.

If you reload your own???? ITX shot is very good I have found the #6 pellet has the weight of a #6.5 pellet & pushed at 1350fps is good out to 40yds. The #4.5 pellet has the weight of a #5 pellet my loads for that are at 1235fps , but that still gets me close to 60yds of killing energy and i dont shoot at that range. A 7lbs bag runs $160 which if loaded in a 7/8 oz load gets you 128 shells....at 1oz gets you 112 shells. 7/8 of #6 has 210 pellet count, an 1oz of #4.5 get you to 170 pellet count. Both pellets i have found wok great on both upland & waterfowl

The (HULL) is a multi-hull by ballistic products the (PRIMER) is a chedite 209 , but win209 will work as well. (WAD) is ballistic products Z16 ,(POWDER) is UNIV 21gr for a speed of 1265fps & psi of 9600 or 22gr UNIV for speed of 1380fps & 10600 psi both pushing 7/8 oz of shot. 1oz load is fiochi hull....616 primer....23gr 4756.........vp80 wad...........speed is at 1215fps....psi1100 (use #4 itx shot only) at this slow speed #4 itx still retains enough energy out to 45/50 yds.....I really don't use this load anymore & have found an 1oz 12ga load is more efficient...hope this helps???......Jay

I formerly used my Sweet 16 almost exclusively for roosters. It did not pattern steel well with its modified barrel (steel required on public land). I sent the barrel to Briley and had a set of steel capable choke tubes installed. It works perfectly but I have returned to shooting old doubles (Parkers) at roosters. The Sweet Sixteen is retired for now.

Buck, I've thought about having tubes installed in my Sweet (26" Vent-rib barrel chocked IC) so I could shoot steel. But I've been told that even with steel capable chokes it's not advisable to shoot steel through that barrel. Any insight into this?

Actually I don't see a problem shooting a little steel through that IC barrel as long as I don't shoot anything larger than #4. But I don't want to ruin the barrel either.

Back