Best hunting pup for pheasants

When I get really really old I am going to get one of them pointy dogs. Then I will have time to take pictures as I saunter up to them ,rest, and shoulder the gun after I put my transmitters and cameras away. Right now I am too busy jamming shells in my gun,cussing because I missed and than taking a bird out of my dog’s mouth to take a picture.

Wow it’s been two years since this thing started. I have a spaniel now so they must be pretty cool too. So I like retrievers and spaniels , I’ll just lump them together and say I like flushing dogs.

A dog is only as good as it's trainer. Every dog has a great nose, its up to the trainer to teach it how to use it. Same with retrieving, obedience, quartering, etc. If a dog has short comings hunting, it is generally the fault of the owner. Pick a breed you like and do everything you can to bring out all of its ability.

While pointers have become extremely popular over the years my preference in part due to the available land to hunt, available lands to train, costs of training, ease of training, a overall best dog around family would be my springer spaniels. They can be an out of the box hunter with almost no major training. they make great companions in the off season, and fit our family lifestyle.

Back