Best Hearing Protection

walk213

Over the last few year, I have spent too much money on crappy hearing protection. When I hunt, I like to hear what is going on around me, so I don't use protection. Can anyone offer any suggestions on hearing protection that amplifies natural sound but muffles gun shot?

I've struggled with this for years. I already have some moderate hearing loss in my right ear and have been searching for something that will protect what I have while still allowing me to hear the dogs beeper on the e-collar or a bird flushing.

One option and it is the most expensive are the electronic hearing protection devices built into the ear plugs themselves that go into the ear canal. They are very expensive however and the thought of losing one made me shy away. http://www.earinc.com/m-hunting.php

I have since picked up some electronic muffs at Cabela's for roughly $40-50 and they work well and keep your ears warm to boot. They are adjustable and you can dial the volume up and down to your satisfaction. Turned all the way up and you can hear the leaves rustle as you walk, and you can actually hear better than without any hearing protection. I find that half volume on these gives me what I am looking for.

Then there are the plugs that have a hole in the center that claim you can still carry on a conversation yet still protect. I have not used these though.

Here's an example of those: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2EAREP4MPR-1.html

Thank you

I appreciate the detailed response. I actually paid $100 for the molded ear plug at the Sportsmen's show a few weeks ago. It has a cap in the middle that I can open when I am trying to converse. They are junk in the field. Cannot hear a bird flush. Thinking of the muff but I was worried about interference with mounting my shotgun.

I wear the muffs in the feild with know problem. Lots of sporting clay shooters use them

how much are you lookng to spend. There are some great ones out there but spendie!
I was at the PF Banquet and watched a $1100.00 pair slip out of my grasp last year. This year I am going after them again at the live auction. I spent way to much on other stuff to go any higher then the $525 I went.

there GREAT!

how much are you lookng to spend. There are some great ones out there but spendie!
I was at the PF Banquet and watched a $1100.00 pair slip out of my grasp last year. This year I am going after them again at the live auction. I spent way to much on other stuff to go any higher then the $525 I went.
I use a pair of muffs every day around the kennel, trainning, and of course hunting. There great be sides being able the hear the cell phone or birds getting up they keep your hat on in the wind, ears warm, better than sun screen on your ears. Be sure to get a pair that suppress the sound the other or not worth haveing. Ten years or better I started with pro ears but have switched to walkers game ears I think the good one are all about the same so I recommend to shop price. :thumbsup:

Back