best dog ever (hunting or non-hunting)

ljckr

i had a 1/2 black 1/2 chocolate lab i had bought for $50 not for hunting just to have a lab always haved loved labs . when i used to be on the volunteer fire department and i would go out on a call he would follow me to the fire station and lay under my truck untill i got back from the call, went out on a house fire one night and was gone for about 9hrs , pulled in the station as the sun was coming up and to my surprise he was still laying there waiting on me. the joke at the fire station was anything ever happened to me someone take my dog and truck back to my house for me. he was so protective of my boys would not let strangers get out of their vehicles untill i went outside and had to call him away from the car. also one day my youngest boy was about 5 and his mom was sick in bed and so my 5yr old decided to go get the mail at the mail box CJ ( the lab) would not let him walk down the road he kept getting in the way of my son and turning him back toward the house, sad part of the story is one day we went fishing and he followed us and on the return trip home he cut in front of my truck and i ran over him and killed him with my boys in the back of the truck watching the whole thing :( , man i sure do miss that dog , gotta' love those labs he was by far the best dog i ever had:10sign: also would like to know what your favorite dog was?

Last edited:
sad part of the story is one day we went fishing and he followed us and on the return trip home he cut in front of my truck and i ran over him and killed him with my boys in the back of the truck watching the whole thing

That would redefine the word suck.

Great story

Nice story and nice topic. :)It would be a toss up between two chocolate labs. I guess I would have to say the first one, because I gave the second one the same name. It's like they were twins but born 9 years apart. It's like the first Jake never died. I never get a replacement dog until the one I have dies. It's like they know my times up and to me they give you that look why don't you must shoot me now.

Best dog I've ever had was this.... and hes missing in action. sadly, still missing....
smartest dog I've had and Id get one again if i could. A german Shorthaired Pointer.

remyandhispheasant-1.jpg

2323232327Ffp533323Enu3D32633E8643E.jpg

S6300397.jpg

Hope my other dogs aren't watching me write this.

My best dog was probably my 8 yr old Ridgeback, Moses. He and I had a bond that I haven't been able to establish with our other dogs. It was a sad time in our house when we had to put him down this past September due to a tumor near his heart.

i had a 1/2 black 1/2 chocolate lab i had bought for $50 not for hunting just to have a lab always haved loved labs . when i used to be on the volunteer fire department and i would go out on a call he would follow me to the fire station and lay under my truck untill i got back from the call, went out on a house fire one night and was gone for about 9hrs , pulled in the station as the sun was coming up and to my surprise he was still laying there waiting on me. the joke at the fire station was anything ever happened to me someone take my dog and truck back to my house for me. he was so protective of my boys would not let strangers get out of their vehicles untill i went outside and had to call him away from the car. also one day my youngest boy was about 5 and his mom was sick in bed and so my 5yr old decided to go get the mail at the mail box CJ ( the lab) would not let him walk down the road he kept getting in the way of my son and turning him back toward the house, sad part of the story is one day we went fishing and he followed us and on the return trip home he cut in front of my truck and i ran over him and killed him with my boys in the back of the truck watching the whole thing :( , man i sure do miss that dog , gotta' love those labs he was by far the best dog i ever had:10sign: also would like to know what your favorite dog was?

What a great dog...... That's horrible that you accidentally ran him over. Hate to think about that happening to my lab. They are so great to have around.

They do grow on you and become a big part of the family . Mine has got me pretty much figured out and knows which buttons to punch to get what she wants .

They do grow on you and become a big part of the family . Mine has got me pretty much figured out and knows which buttons to punch to get what she wants .

I need help with this; My dog when he wants me to do something. He don't try to push my buttons he goes to my wife. He thinks she will get me to do it. Only it hasn't worked yet!!!!!!!..................Bob

Im no expert on dogs..

take my dog for an example..

When and during hunting season, my dog does NOT get scrap food.... and yet my wife gives him scrap food behind my back... hes likely going to go to her for things he wants rather to me because he knows i wont give him any food other than treats or dog food.

just like kids.

if you tell your kid no he cant have that new shiny toy, he'll or she'll go crying to mom, mom remorses and gives that kid a toy.

not saying not to have heart, but someone is always the good cop and someone is always the bad cop...

dogs are the same way, they like the good cop.

i have to admit the Capt has had 2 great labs. Jake 1 could find anything. We would take golf balls and put duck or pheasant scent on them and hit them into hay field. jake would find them every time Great way to practice your drives and train dog at same time. Jake always had to work harder to find mine i can out drive the coot any day:p:p when Jake 1 died the coot didnt want another dog. me and the guys decided he needed another dog. we found a chocholate pointing lab. when we meet him on the farm to go duck hunting we told the Coot to check the barn for more decoys. we then snuck the pup in his truck. when he first saw it he said whats that? we said aint you ever seen a dog before? the Coot asks whose dog is it? its in your truck it must be yours. the Coot was VERY touched by this. he felt sorry for pup it was very cold and rainy that day and windy because i was there. had a great hunt. cleaned ducks behind barn. while the Coot was playing with his new pup jakes nose went up sniffing. he ran into weeds behind barn and brought back a duck carcass he has been pointing and retriving ever since. went to a preseve hunting with him at 4 months and he never lost a bird.:):) the only problem with him is what he does to my truck tires. P.S. CAPT. jake 1 didnt find that duck first day at the north farm. i did and put it in his mouth so you woulndnt feel bad. he did learn fast though. im sure 30+ mph winds made it hard to scent.:D

Back