Best choke combo in 16ga. O/U

870-Lefty

Guys, in your opinion, based on experience, what would be the best choke combo in a 16ga. O/U for wild pheasants in South Dakota? I.C./Mod., I.C./I.M., or Lt.Mod./I.M.? I will be shooting mainly 5 & 6 shot, 4's if necessary.

I custom ordered my 16 gauge FAIR with fixed chokes - IC/MOD
I've shot geese , ducks, sharptails, ruffies and pheasants with no issues with either steel or lead.:)
I detest screw in chokes, just another thing to worry about IMO.
Pattern the gun , find out what works in it, and kill
birds!:10sign:
DHT

The choice of choke combo's in a 16 Ga is no different than for a 20 or 12, since choke restriction is based on % of shot in the pattern, regardless of gauge. Your choice of chokes really is based on what distance you are shooting.

I live in SD and have been shooting wild birds since 1972. With reflexes tuned from shooting clays all summer, and using a pointing/flushing lab, my shots are usually close. As such, I use IC/IC in all three gauges (Citori 725,Citori Lightnings)The only time I use different chokes is in late-season, then switching to LM/Mod or Mod/IM.

If you are a casual shooter, that doesn't get to spend much time in the field, and hunts early in the sesson, IC/Mod will probably be OK for you. However, if you normally shoot at the longer ranges, or later in the season, Mod/IM or IM/IM would be a safe bet. With today's modern ammo with 1-piece shotcups, there is likely no reason to ever need a full choke.

I personally use IC for pheasants - early and late. Generally do not take long shots with my 20 ga or with the 12 and hunt over a close working Golden that sometimes points. I use 7.5's and 6's.

My nephew is a crack shot and uses an 1100 Rem. with modified choke. He seldom misses and takes any length of shot. He uses a pointing Lab. He uses #4 shot.

Confused yet?

I patterned my 12 ga SXS and developed loads that give me LtMod/ImpMod. In some instances its a little tight, but when blocking there are many birds that come out going like Hell and out a ways. I'd rather be a little too tight than too open. Rather hit them harder, than scratch them down.

On a whim, I switched from the I/C to a SCII (light mod) choke this weekend. One day was gale-force winds, and the next was almost calm. Although most shots ended up being the around the same yardage, there wasn't much actual difference noted while using the old standard 12 Ga 1 1/4 oz. at 1330 fps.

With the first month of the season now over, the SCII choke will probably stay in for a while.

Hard to beat IC/Mod in a 16. IC/IM is also very good. I've been using a two-triggered 12 OU this year and I have it set up SK/IM. Been working well! I have pointers and 80% of the shots have easily been in skeet range. With the other 20% it's nice to have some choke!

Guys, in your opinion, based on experience, what would be the best choke combo in a 16ga. O/U for wild pheasants in South Dakota? I.C./Mod., I.C./I.M., or Lt.Mod./I.M.? I will be shooting mainly 5 & 6 shot, 4's if necessary.

IC/Mod is all I use throughout the entire season in my 16 ga. Citori. Mostly I shoot IC in my Sweet Sixteen and now have a 16 ga. Model 12 choked Mod.

Distances, pointing dogs vs. flushing dogs, shells, etc. They all play a role in choke selection but you can't go wrong with IC/Mod. And if the situation dictates something else you can always change. But IC/Mod is a great place tos tart.

I think it depends a lot on how you hunt and how quick on the draw you are. If you are hunting over pointers where the flushes will be close, I/C or even cylinder will be fine. Hunting with aggressive flushers where the shots are longer, especially if you take your time bringing the gun up, you probably want a tighter choke.

I prefer I/C & Mod early season and Mod & Full late season. l can always wait for the bird to get further away if I need to on a close flush. Late season birds are more mature and have thicker feathers.

Jerry

When we start comparing SKII, IC, LM, Mod, IM, etc. we are really "splitting hairs". Unless you go out and do some extensive patterning with your gun, various chokes and various loads it would be impossible to pick one choke combination over the other. That's why I say, start with IC/Mod and see how it works for you and adjust from there.

When we start comparing SKII, IC, LM, Mod, IM, etc. we are really "splitting hairs". Unless you go out and do some extensive patterning with your gun, various chokes and various loads it would be impossible to pick one choke combination over the other. That's why I say, start with IC/Mod and see how it works for you and adjust from there.

yes, and then when you use a different brand or grade of shell, you have to start all over again as in all likelihood the hardness of the lead has changed as has the quality of wad, enough to make a good guy go crazy worrying about that.

cheers

Back