Best Bird Hunting Paradise

GSP,

Funny you mention the Army base having quail. I am a Dept of Defense civilian and left Fort Polk, LA about a year ago. I had heard there was a decent population of quail there but I didn't have a dog to confirm.

I am now at Fort Gordon, outside of Augusta. I will have to contact the base biologist to ask him about quail populations. You never know, I might get lucky.

DAn

I covered down in Augusta for 2 weeks but was at Ft Benning for 4 years. they have a decent population of wild birds but are hard to find. I can give you some areas to try if you make it down there.

If you wish to travel in an RV. Or two homes, winter and summer. Avoid state income tax. You can establish residency in SD with a mailing address. Mail places take care of forwarding mail for you.
If SD. Sioux Falls would be better for decent medical care. I'll be nice and not talk about the care I've received in Rapid.
Rapid is a much nicer place to live. The Hills are beautiful.
Avoid Rapid like the plague during first part of August. The Rally... it's a royal PIA.
Down south... Arizona? ... Quail and doves. Some places are very inexpensive. They get alot of snow bunnies. Yuma is one such place and very inexpensive.

There's something to be said for Colorado. We have 4 or 5 species of Grouse; mostly found on public land. Decent population of pheasant and not too far from NW Kansas. Some bobs and scaled quail and we also have a little big game hunting to go with some pretty good cold water fishing. Oh yeh, we have some decent water foul hunting too. Add to that a little skiing, snowmobiling, backpacking and a very nice climate on the front range and western slope.

Last edited:
Bird season starts in August in Alaska. The have limits of ptarmigan and grouse like 5/15, 10/20, some areas even more like 50 ptarmigan. That sounds fun. A month there would probably be all the bird hunting a guy needed for the year.

I've lived in Colorado and Montana. Colorado is overun with people and hunting is limited. Montana has a lot more opportunities but pheasant hunting is along river bottoms which is mainly private land. With that said so long as you are within high water marks on navigable rivers (like the Missouri) we could hunt a lot without permission. We used to hunt blue grouse in the national forests and it could be excellent and there is tons of forest available. Hungarian partridge were all over in the open grasslands east of the divide and sage grouse too. Sharptails have a habit of hanging out in huge wheat wheatfields (private land). With all that said Ive been told and have read that Idaho has more public land than for its size than any and is loaded with bird hunting opportunities. That would be my pick!

Montana is pretty sweet but the winters are brutal up there, along with the Dakotas. How many states can you hunt roosters into January in? Colorado is under rated, there are three species of quail, pheasant, chukar, and eight different grouse species only five of which you are allowed to hunt.

Last edited:
like bullthrower said its overun with people plus it seems kinda crazy there met 4+ familys over the years of spring turkey hunting in KS all said similar things just got to crazy 4 my family they live close enuff to drive back to CO but live in KS ive seen loads of CO hunters in KS to many we hunt farther east now in KS...

CO beautiful state & i love grouse but seems like alot of people flock there & kinda changed it???

KS MN SD NE have seasons going into jan...

i think northern central wyoming & or idaho hells canyon way sound greart

Colorado has become very populated but most people don't hunt that are moving here. I can hunt Kansas and Nebraska within 2-3 hours along with eastern Colorado, Blue grouse are easy to get to after work and swarms of waterfowl right in the backyard during winter. I'm a little bias having lived here my whole life.:D

I'm approaching a point where I could retire in a few years and started thinking of the same thing.

I'm pretty sure I will want to be mobile. Even residents I know in SD and Idaho travel south during the harsh winters. I have no interest in hunting roosters in a snow covered field at -10f with the wind blowing in a January winter. I want to be strolling the rolling grass covered hills speckled with oaks, pursuing the Mearns of AZ on a 60f day in my cotton shirt. But I may want to start the upland season far north.

Last edited:
Back