Best Applications for Hunting

I am not very computer savvy, but I know there are some useful APPs that folks download that can show state hunting areas, boundaries and such. I think the SD Game and Fish has such an App. What are some of the better Apps out there for bird hunters, or hunters in general. They don't have to be free, if they are useful, just want to know what is available and not sure how to figure that out.

Dan

I've used the one from SDGF&P and it works well. If you turn your GPS on for your phone it will tell you where you pretty accurately. It doesn't work if you don't have a phone signal. Which is the crappy part because where I deer hunt west river you have to be in a lucky spot to get a signal. Don't leave the GPS part on as it drains your battery pretty heavily.

ArcGIS is a free app downloadable to your phone. You can see walk-in, and management areas in any state.

I use the arcgis to measure properties for lawn treatments. Used to freak people out. I would give them a quote over the phone. They would say "how can you see and measure my property over the phone?" I would say "do you have the red dodge ram in your driveway and weber smoker on your back proch?" There would usually be a long pause.

KS gps app

Used it extensively on my trip in Dec. it was great. The thing that would have helped is if the map book had all the roads labeled. Some counties all were named and the county north very few. So I couldn't always compare to were I was. My truck position did not show up on the states app.

pheasant whisperer,

Is that ArcGIS real time or does it just take a photo at one time in the past like google earth?

Its about the same as google earth. Closer HD pictures so you can actually see if its milo or corn. And its a one time photo but they are taken more often. I have pics of when crops were still in and the next time I went out the app showed the crops being out. It outlines wiha areas and any kind of public hunting areas. Its really good if your going to a big area.

Maps

Good info, thanks. I've been using the atlas and then from that google earth to find the creek beds. That's usually how I figure out who to ask permission from. I also use the the state gazetteer to locate areas. I called and you can get blown up maps of the school lands county by county if you hunt those areas. They are very cheap. I'll try some of the suggestions here. The hunting atlas can get you in trouble if you let it. Some of the areas are hard to pinpoint. I always try to ask a farmer if I'm in his ditch or near a walk in/gpa area just to make sure I'm not out of bounds. I watch it a lot closer now than when I started out there. Not as fun if you're not sure if you're in or out of bounds.

OnX maps both the app and the chip for your handheld GPS. Shows public and private boundaries and landowner info.

I use this app on my iPhone and have for a couple years now. Not cheap, but during the season, I use it all the time. I turn the app on and drive around looking for new WMA and walk-in areas to try. Very accurate maps and like was mentioned, it shows who owns all the land too so I can ask if I get bold.

Back