Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting / 12 gauge / 26"

jfarnbach

I am looking to purchase the Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting (discontinued i believe) / 12 gauge / 26" to be used primarily for pheasant hunting. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go with the 26" vs a 28" or longer? I would appreciate the help.

Many like the longer sight plain and more weight out front for a better smoother hard to stop swing. Helps on the follow through to gain your lead on your target and maintain it. 30", 32" and even 34" barreled guns are making a come back with all the clay games being played these days. Some are taking this to the sport of upland bird hunting. I myself like 28' barrels for my pheasant gun. 26' barrels for my Ruff grouse gun and in the timber duck gun. I find with longer barrels I'm knocking them on everything. They work great in the open country but suck in thick cover, brush and woods.

I am looking to purchase the Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting (discontinued i believe) / 12 gauge / 26" to be used primarily for pheasant hunting. Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't go with the 26" vs a 28" or longer? I would appreciate the help.

Barrel length can open a can of worms. It's been discussed on other threads on this site. The best advice I can give you is to get what works best for you. There is no right answer. Just because someone else prefers a longer barrel or a shorter barrel doesn't mean that's the best fit for you. If the 26" feels better to you than the 28", go for it.

Personally I prefer shorter barrels. I've got 26' barrels on my O/U and SxS and 24" on my Benelli Montefeltro and Stoeger 2000. It's what works best for me and I hunt almost all pheasant and a few sharptails.

Thats what I was looking for.. more opinion of what you use and why vs a debate. I apologize for the post when I know it has been posted on here at some point before. I should have searched it a little better before posting. Thanks for your replies!

Swing

The reason for longer is "swing" I added a weight up front to my Beretta o/u to have it swing better on sporting clays. Beretta o/u are light in front, even for a upland gun I would go 28.

I've always preferred 26" barrels & have used nothing else for many years for Upland game. Additionally, I like the look & since I'm the one who looks at & over them the most, that's what I buy.

Back