Beretta A400 20ga Upland

I bought and have hunted with the A400 Upland 12g and its awesome. Swings and shoots very well.
I bought the 20ga and have been shooting skeet with it since August. It has improved my shooting. Will be out to see if it helps my phesant shooting in a week.

I shoot both a 20 & 28 in the A400, love both of them! I have the 12 as well but it feels like a tank compared to the smaller gauges so it usually stays home.

My wife shoots the A300 in 12 gauge & she loves it. The A400 is simply a slightly upgraded version. Been trying to talk her into getting an A400 20 gauge, but she likes her 12.

As the guy to whom falls weapons maint, I can advise the A series are some of the easiest to break down & clean of all auto shotguns I've worked with. Her A300 is one of the lightest autos I'm aware of and I've never seen this one misfire, fail to feed, or fail to eject.

Last edited:
I own an A400 extreme 12 gauge and two A300 outlanders 12 gauge that the wife shoots. I have to say, the A400 extreme out shoots my Benelli SBE2 every day of the week. It has less recoil, cycles flawlessly, and it shoots everything from
3 1/2 to 2 3/4 without any hiccups. My wife’s A300 has seen probably close to 5000 rounds of trap shooting and I’ve never seen it malfunction. Bang for its buck, I think the A300 outlander is probably the best auto loader on the market in that price range.

Son's A300 is a fantastic auto. Sporting clays, trap, waterfowl, upland, turkey ... just a smooth and flawless operating gun.

Handles all shells equally fine ... low brass to heavy mags.

I think the A300 outlander is probably the best auto loader on the market in that price range.

Yep. The wood version is simply gorgeous for the money. My son falls into that younger generation and chose the camo version ... actually not a bad decision because rust is essentially a not issue. Just wipe the outside down with a dry cloth.

I’ve also been shooting the A300 in 12ga for the past 5 years mainly on waterfowl and have pretty done everything to it besides drop it in the water. Never had an issue, and like UplandBird said the price point is great... Best bang for buck on the market and have I’ve shot the SBE and Vinci from benelli still thinks it out shoots both.. JMO

Took the A400 20ga and it did the job. No misfires, jams, nothing went wrong. Son in law using a 12 ga got a few birds that were out of my range....skill wise. All in all I am quite happy with my 20ga Upland A400.

My BIL shoots one and he really likes it. I had the same gun on the counter ready to purchase but I declined at the last second because of the safety location. After 40 years of having it behind the trigger, I would have a heck of a time with it being forward. It might not be an issue for you, but my brain is frozen at age 64.

My BIL shoots one and he really likes it. I had the same gun on the counter ready to purchase but I declined at the last second because of the safety location. After 40 years of having it behind the trigger, I would have a heck of a time with it being forward. It might not be an issue for you, but my brain is frozen at age 64.
I thought it was going to be an issue for me but I actually have not struggled with it at all.

I brought one home in 12 Ga YESTERDAY! So far all I've been able to do is look at it and rack the bolt a few times. It's so light and balanced!!! Tomorrow I have a date with the Champion Clay Thrower (already loaded in the truck) to learn how it shoots before I test it on birds this weekend. My beloved 690 should be back from the smithy Friday, so it's going to be a tough weekend choosing which gun to carry. I also have an A300 (wood) and love it. The A400 Upland is definitely lighter and has better swing, but that A300 is like an old truck that I can count on every day no matter what. For the money, the 300 is a masterpiece.

Last edited:
How do you like that Gunpod system? Do you actually use it?
It's kind of cool but do I use it. Not really. When I think to check my phone, it is fun to see the info but I'm not sure why...LOL.

Back