beretta 400xplor

labsrule

Berteet 400xplor 20 guage
so I saved to get a new gun for south dakota hunt.got gun in sept.dove hunting hundreds of birds and firing pin breaks.the service depth fixed .but I had to call to see what was wrong.fast forward to last sat.leave for south dakota.in 4 days 7 jams.met a guide in redfield who has issues with his also.his is a 12 guage.obiously this is a huge disappointment. Just a fyi.

Sounds like a warranty claim.

When you say it jams, does it eject the spent shell, but not cycle the next shell into the chamber or is it not ejecting the spent shell at all? Either way sounds like a failure to feed issue.

FYI, For warranty work and better service all around you may want to go thru Coles Gunsmithing, which is a Beretta Authorized warranty and service dealer. They should provide you quicker turn around and better service IMO then going directly to Beretta.

Give them a call and explain the problem.

http://www.colegun.com/

Last edited:
Did you get this resolved? I just purchased action in the 20ga and hope I don't have any issues!

I purchased two 400explor's a couple of years ago. Experienced the same problem as you with both guns. Sent both guns to Coles. Guns perform better but still fail to cycle from time to time. I listened to suggestions that the guns were not maintained properly and/or we were using cheap ammo ... neither of which were factual.

I have this gun in ultra light -- no NO NO problems at all with the gun !! Have hunted with this gun in SD in below zero temps with NO problems. Good luck in getting your problems fixed !!

I purchased two 400explor's a couple of years ago. Experienced the same problem as you with both guns. Sent both guns to Coles. Guns perform better but still fail to cycle from time to time. I listened to suggestions that the guns were not maintained properly and/or we were using cheap ammo ... neither of which were factual.

Cole's gunsmithing is highly regarded.

Curious, could you explain exactly what the problem was and what exactly Cole's did, if you know?

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think I made the wrong choice in autos. Maybe the M-2 would have been the better choice. Like to hear if guns were fixed properly! How have they been working since being fixed!

Cole's gunsmithing is highly regarded.

Curious, could you explain exactly what the problem was and what exactly Cole's did, if you know?

Both guns would fail to cycle properly approximately 1-2 times per box of shells. As I remember the guns would successfully eject the fired shell but fail to load the new shell. I spoke with Cole's before and after the guns were "repaired". The person I spoke with indicated that some of the 400xplor's had this problem and only needed an "adjustment". I was told that both guns were test fired after being "adjusted" and performed well. This was with the shells that I had provided. We took both gun to the sporting clays range a few weeks after they were returned. Both guns failed to cyle a couple of times during the 100 target round. I called Beretta and they could not offer any advice other than to return the guns to Coles. My son has moved so not sure what he did with his gun. I stuck mine in the safe and went back to my O/U. I will dig it out at some point and try to find a local gunsmith that can work on it .... one that does not involve shipping for repairs.

Back