Beloit

Hunted the area you talked about , expect some well educated birds , plan on wearing some boot leather .
Your approach will be important get set up dog collars on , no slamming doors , quite approach the best .
Just came back from that area hunted on my own 2 Britt’s 2 1/2 days hunting hard . harvested 2 roosters and 5 Quail harvested .
End the trip with smile on my face when my Britt tracked a runner and stealthy catwalking forward and following the last rooster of my hunt , easy 15 yd shot when he got up as cover ran out .

Best of luck , let us know how you do .

Stealth is important and often overlooked. Shutting the vehicle door quietly is an acquired art!

Amen to the not slamming the doors. We were in North Dakota one year , and had tried to get on this property that we had literally seen hundreds of birds on. Finally aquired permission and pulled in right at sunrise. Warned all of us , no door slamming or talking. Just get out and let a couple dogs out that we had pre collared up. Sounded good ,right? We do all that and as we are quietly making our assault I put the truck keys in my pocket and hit the rape button on key fob. Horn and lights start going off, and we stood there in a dumbfounded stupor as ,no less than 300,birds come out of a cattail and shelter belt. I had ruined it. My buddies just looked at me like, " You big dumbass" . Turned around and went to truck. My one friend said come on they didnt all leave. We hunted it anyway. They all left!! Not a bird.

GL Lointer! I was supposed to head out yesterday morning for a last hoor-rah run but those big snowstorms with mixed in ice made me think twice about the commute! Lol.
I'll be heading out tommorrow morning with my german girls! (gsp's)
Ky setter man-my brother did slam the door on a targeted field in SD a couple of years ago...and yes they all left too!
I had a situation this year in SD where I arrived at a designated parking spot in a deep ditch that had some high growing weeds in front of it. I idled in about 9:15 and dropped down in that ditch where my truck was sort of hidden. About 150 yards in front of me was an intersection-corn fields were caddy corner to one another, the other two sides were mostly cattails and other great cover. One corner was private, the other three were public accessible! I was dressed, dogs were pre collared(i command with tones and vibrations) . Watching rooster after rooster liesurely gliding back and forth over the road-my heart was pumping as 10:00 was almost reality! Low and behold a small car approached from behind me with 3 or 4 hunters crammed in it(nebraska plates). As they drove slowly by me I greeted them with a head nod and wave. When they got to the intersection in front of me, their brake lights went on and then they just sat there idling for at least a minute or two! Sure enough roosters starting getting up and flying to the one corner property on my left that was private!! By the time they did throttle out of there, there was a domino effect of birds flying out! I honestly don't think those guys saw what was happening! To my amazement, with all that huntable real estate-I was only able to produce 1 rooster do to their idling moment that cleared the place out.
I too have another peeve about noise -the one I love is all the guys that scream "rooster" or "hen" ! Lol. This is NO different to the birds than slamming your door. I also do not scream commands or blow whistle in the field.

Last edited:
There’s a piece of public that birds like to roost right by the parking lot. People get out and the birds will run a little button hook left route and end up right in the corner. Coming back to your car they’ll flush out wild.
One day I thought I was going to outsmart them. I pulled into the parking lot , windows down, sweet home Alabama blaring on the radio. Hopped out, truck still running and made that same little loop I’d always pictured them taking.
Didn’t work, I imagine they’re still running

Amen to the not slamming the doors. We were in North Dakota one year , and had tried to get on this property that we had literally seen hundreds of birds on. Finally aquired permission and pulled in right at sunrise. Warned all of us , no door slamming or talking. Just get out and let a couple dogs out that we had pre collared up. Sounded good ,right? We do all that and as we are quietly making our assault I put the truck keys in my pocket and hit the rape button on key fob. Horn and lights start going off, and we stood there in a dumbfounded stupor as ,no less than 300,birds come out of a cattail and shelter belt. I had ruined it. My buddies just looked at me like, " You big dumbass" . Turned around and went to truck. My one friend said come on they didnt all leave. We hunted it anyway. They all left!! Not a bird.
Lol!Damm. I did that one time. Luckily, I was by myself.I didn't have the 72 Ford.

Back