Beeper Collar

goldeneye

I'm in need of a new Beeper Collar I have been looking at (SportDOG Deluxe Beeper Locator DSL-400) But I want to know what you guys think?

my breeder that i get my GSP from, swears on Tritronics. However, he rather the hawk squawker...

there are wide variety of beepers out there. are you looking for RANGE of distance? what kind of dog? GSP pointer, Pointing lab? Brittany?

I see you have a Weim pup, I do believe it is best to start a beeper on a pup. My dog was to old and he won't even hunt with it on. I would get the Sportdog 400, I have one and they work. I would set it for "point only". That way it only beeps when the dog in on point. The problem with that is if the dog stops to see where you are or something, it goes off beeping. There is always going to be the controversy does it or does it not, scare the birds. I use a Dog GPS called RoamEO, It is made in White bear Lake, MN. That works really well, only that locator is a bulky to carry at times.......Bob

Last edited:
Bob I never thought of Goldeneye for a Weim. That would of been good. (It's my favorite duck.) I have a Elhew Pointer.
I have a Tri Tronics Sportsmans shock collar and beeper combo. It's around 11years old the shock collar works great but the beeper went I was looking for something with a volume control and the Hawk scream. I do not use them often but I think they are great for the right setting. I use bells mainly but my favorite is to run the dog with nothing make him stay in close and try our best to be quite. It just happens that sometimes a beeper is a wonderfull thing to have. I may have to look into the GPS thing never thought of it. Quick picture of the boy.

winter09pics013.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a new trytronic and the beeper is more of a buzzer . I use 2 beeps for here and she sometimes has trouble hearing it. But she's 9 and been around a lot of shooting too. But othan that the unit and their service is great .

Garmin Astro is the GPS system. it has inditcators if your dog is moving, running, or pointing. and you can be able to pinpoint your dog with the GPS. with hawk screamer, you have to find it by listening.

im told with hawk screamers, pheasants hear this and stay down as they assume a hawk is in the sky and dont move an inch.

Sorry. I thought I read some place you had Weim Pup. I must have had a senior moment in my reading skills..........Bob

Back