Beats working

cheesy

Dad and I left his house at 4:30 this morning. One restroom break in between and we were at the first field at 8am meeting up with bro in law and niece and nephew.

Had 2 blow out wild, and a hen. Then get a solid point 30 yards ahead. I see a flash on the ground, think it's a rabbit, relax, and that rabbit turns into a cackling rooster. Two flubbed shots. Made up for it a few minutes later. Sag is working back to me, spins 180 degrees, flash points and a rooster flushes in front of her 15 yards, coming right at me.

Point shoot retrieve

Next field dad missed a long shot, but made up for it off another solid point

I get yet another point, solid. No obstacles. Nobody around. Stand there and take a picture kind of time. Barely drew a feather. Pitiful.

Next field got us some flushes but no points. Scenting conditions were terrible after the dew burned off, but my brother in laws lab saved the day in one of the dead birds. 3 roosters in 200 yards. I'll take it.

Dad posing with the prize. I'm not going to mention the solid point in wheat stubble on a rooster he got to walk in on and watch the bird as it flew away with two shots saluting it. I may have helped in the salute, but I was really out of range.......

My niece walking in on a point. Only shot we could get for her on the day, no quail was harmed in the flushing if this point.

A single I got

Great pictures Thanks so much helps when you can't be there and want to enjoy a great sport.

Great pics !!! Nice dog work !!! Family Friends and the outdoors , that's hard to beat !!!

Would you say the numbers were up in your area of operations compared to last year ?

Great pictures, it is good to see some kids enjoying being out side. Just remember every missed bird is one more the dog can work next time.

Would you say the numbers were up in your area of operations compared to last year ?

We only got out for the opener last year. Had 2 more hunters than last year, basically same fields, took same number of birds. I'd say that area was the same based on the flushes we saw. Hard to really tell though. Long ways from 6 or 7 years ago, but not a disappointment either.

Where we hunted yesterday was 80 miles from opening day. Saw fewer birds. Cover was noticeably heavier. Birds held tighter. Was worth my time.

Great photos and such a nice hunt!

Nice thread! Only complaint, get that niece a youth 20 so she can compete! She'll get-er-done with a real thumper!!! Nice family outing! Repeat, repeat, repeat....... Oh yeah, think you might be due for a new truck:)

Last edited:
Nice thread! Only complaint, get that niece a youth 20 so she can compete! She'll get-er-done with a real thumper!!! Nice family outing! Repeat, repeat, repeat....... Oh yeah, think you might be due for a new truck:)

They've got my 870 youth from when i was a kid, but theyre still too small to handle it well. Need to pump some iron. Her brother did drop two on opening day with that single shot .410.

Barbells for Christmas! :) Thang is, they will get bigger! Great exposure either way! Thanks for the pics!

Back