Bbq!

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
Who's ready ?!? I'm cooking some good 'ole KC BBQ for my grandpa's birthday tomorrow. Surely we have some BBQ renegades around here. Share some recipes, and goooood food here! I'll share my rib rub recipe tomorrow, and some pics of before and after Q'ing. Tomorrow's que? KC made green apple sausage from one of my favorite places, spare ribs, and chicken thighs. The spare ribs will be made into long ends, and the remainder used for BBQ baked beans. :thumbsup: My mouth is watering already!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

KC has BBQ???....:rolleyes:

No kidding! Are those bacon-wrapped pheasant breasts? I had to postpone the BBQ to Sunday due to inclement weather. :mad: Thanks for the pics though, now I'm hungry! :D
It sure is, (pheasant breasts).;) 'only' appropriate considering it is a pheasant forum. :eek:
a pair of briskets and baked beans that are placed under a brisket, and allowed to catch those drippings.. :)
I smoke something, 3-4 times a month I suppose. Ribs, rib-roast, pork shoulder, or brisket. I throw in a pheasant or two occasionally as a bonus!
hope your weather cooperates on Sunday :thumbsup:

That's a great idea putting the beans under the brisket. :thumbsup: I've reserved a few pheasant breasts for the smoker as well. :D

Is that a rotisserie under the bottom rack? If so, that's a neat smoker. :)

It 'has' a rotisserie, but I've yet to use it. It is a quality smoker, made by "Hasty Bake".
Mine happens to be the "Gourmet" model. http://www.hastybake.com/grill_gourmet.html
I've had/used a propane grill for decades, but after receiving this one as a gift a cpl years ago, have gifted the gas grill..:)
I like burning the 'chunk' charcoal, and these models have an adjustable firebox. A crank handle on the side will either raise or lower it, making temp control a "breeze"!
I burn a lot of mesquite, but like fruit woods almost as well. Apple, peach, choke cherry, and/or plum.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for a used model on craigslist, that's one hell of a smoker. We have a bigger smoker that we use in competition BBQ's, but it makes no sense to use it unless you have a ton of meat to smoke.

197873_850795057891_17024101_44518188_5222477_n.jpg

That smoker has a thermostat regulated fan going to the firebox, which is nice, but lacks all the bells and whistles of yours. :D

I normally use a combination of hickory and fruit when I smoke, usually cherry or apple, sometimes pecan or peach. The neat thing about BBQ is if done right, it's hard to screw up, and you can play with spices and smoke to suit your liking. :cheers:

I should add that, at least here in town, Ace Hardware has a nice selection of wood, believe it or not. :)

Last edited:
Every thing looks good. I just got a new grill last Friday and getting ready to try it out. Have a recipe for brisket that I'm going to try. There is a place not to far from where I live that sells buffalo meat that I'm going to use the recipe for. I'll take pics and let you know how it turns out.

Today I'll do

pork roasts for "pulled" pork sam'ichs
After sitting in the fridge smothered in a dry rub overnite, they went on the 225* smoker at about 6:30 this morning. (mesquite and apple wood)
attachment.php

Two hours in (8:30 am)
attachment.php

Four hours (10:30)
I start baste/mop...
attachment.php

Six hours (12:30)
internal temp' @165. I put em in a foil roasting pan and cover it tight. Shooting for 190-195 temp'..
attachment.php

Eight hours
Just about ready to pull!
attachment.php

to be continued

at 195-200* I took em off the smoker and wrapped in a thick towel for an hour.
attachment.php

..LITERALLY falling off the bone!
attachment.php

... about a cup of BBQ sauce, and we're ready for samiches!
attachment.php

at 195-200* I took em off the smoker and wrapped in a thick towel for an hour.

The shoulders probably picked up another 10-12 degrees just sitting. Looks good sir! The only thing I really do differently is inject the pork prior to cooking, and I toss about a 1/4 cup of rub on the meat and toss after it's "pulled".

:cheers:

Last edited:
I ate about a pound of pork loin earlier and now you're making me hungry again, great work. Looks awesome. :10sign:

The shoulders probably picked up another 10-12 degrees just sitting. Looks good sir! The only thing I really do differently is inject the pork prior to cooking, and I toss about a 1/4 cup of rub on the meat and toss after it's "pulled".

:cheers:

:thumbsup:

Back