Base layers

Glock

What do you wear for base layers when hunting in 30 to 40 some degree temps? I understand the first layer needs to be a moisture wicking but have tried the compression type shirts and didn’t really care for them. What do you wear for that first layer?

Merino Wool. 100%. I used to wear the synthetic "compression" shirts and my merino wool is way better at moisture wicking and warmth. A big name in Merino wool is First Lite, but check out Smartwool as well. It's a bit cheaper than First Lite, doesn't come in Camo (not sure about orange) but for a base layer who needs camo or orange.

I have one merino wool shirt that is one size smaller than my normal outer layers because I like the compression fit and feel for a base layer. I typically wear just merino wool for my shirts and socks. Jacket and pants are not.

Any polyester T shirt will wick moisure off yor skin just like the UA compression T's. 30-40 degrees, I wear a poly T and blaze shirt (ll Bean) under a strap vest. Add an insulated cap some times. Throw on a wool shirt when I get back to the truck. From 15-30, if no wind, I add a light Merino wool T to thee above.

In that temp range: Down: just a pair of everyday boxers and L.L. Bean field pants. UP: A cotton tee, regular weight (40s) or heavy (30s), under a Carhartt chambray shirt and finally a Columbia uninsulated jacket .

30-40 degrees? I don't wear base layers in that heat. Completely unnecessary once you start walking and building up a good sweat. I do wear one when I'm sitting still perched 20 feet up in a deer stand though. Its a lot harder to keep warm when deer hunting in an exposed, elevated stand.

When its drops down to about 15 degrees then I put on a base layer. I use UA Cold Gear or Nike Pro Combat. Same stuff I use outside when I'm playing ice hockey in the winter. Cotton is a big no no.

No cotton for
30-40 degrees? I don't wear base layers in that heat. Completely unnecessary once you start walking and building up a good sweat. I do wear one when I'm sitting still perched 20 feet up in a deer stand though. Its a lot harder to keep warm when deer hunting in an exposed, elevated stand.

When its drops down to about 15 degrees then I put on a base layer. I use UA Cold Gear or Nike Pro Combat. Same stuff I use outside when I'm playing ice hockey in the winter. Cotton is a big no
Merino Wool. 100%. I used to wear the synthetic "compression" shirts and my merino wool is way better at moisture wicking and warmth. A big name in Merino wool is First Lite, but check out Smartwool as well. It's a bit cheaper than First Lite, doesn't come in Camo (not sure about orange) but for a base layer who needs camo or orange.

I have one merino wool shirt that is one size smaller than my normal outer layers because I like the compression fit and feel for a base layer. I typically wear just merino wool for my shirts and socks. Jacket and pants are not.
Looks like lots of different types. I’m guessing they are various thickness of the shirts?

In that kind of heat you're going to want to make sure you have vented pants because once you start walking you're going to be warm. Usually a thin upper layer and a thin windproof vest when I start out, this usually gets ditched in the first 20 minutes.

My biggest issue is keeping my hands warm, and in those temps a thin pair of mechanics gloves work quite well.

to me, 40 degrees isnt cold enough to do anything special for..maybe too warm to hunt so I wear a short sleeve wicking tshirt. Im not loyal to any brand of wicking shirt. LOTS of much cheaper options other than UA

When its drops down to about 15 degrees then I put on a base layer. I use UA Cold Gear or Nike Pro Combat. Same stuff I use outside when I'm playing ice hockey in the winter. Cotton is a big no no.
So if you don’t wear cotton and you don’t wear moisture wicking at those temps, what do you wear?

I have this base layer in merino wool, and I like it a lot. For me it's a little to warm for walking.

I wear this most of the time.

Last edited:
So if you don’t wear cotton and you don’t wear moisture wicking at those temps, what do you wear?
When its 40 degrees out, I wear a polyester long sleeve shirt under my vest. Sorry I didn't make myself clear on the previous post lol

Looks like lots of different types. I’m guessing they are various thickness of the shirts?
Hey Glock, wasnt sure who you were referencing in your question but for my merino wool it's a 150 gram weight. It's their lightweight wool.

I'm with others that 30-40 degrees I don't bundle up. Unless there's a hell of a wind. My clothing mantra is "leave the truck cold". If I'm standing outside the truck getting ready and I'm chilly, I'm dressed perfectly for walking. If I'm at the truck and toasty warm, I'll be peeling layers off within 20 minutes.

Hey Glock, wasnt sure who you were referencing in your question but for my merino wool it's a 150 gram weight. It's their lightweight wool.

I'm with others that 30-40 degrees I don't bundle up. Unless there's a hell of a wind. My clothing mantra is "leave the truck cold". If I'm standing outside the truck getting ready and I'm chilly, I'm dressed perfectly for walking. If I'm at the truck and toasty warm, I'll be peeling layers off within 20 minutes.
I’m with you. House temp is 68 degree year round.

I've been wearing UA cold gear that's probably old enough to vote but decided to bite the bullet on some Smartwool base layers. The old cold gear stuff is great for those sub 20 degree days but with wearing a vest it was insanely hot in anything above 25-30 degrees after some walking on a sunny day. We'll see how the Smartwool stuff goes but do enjoy their socks quite a bit.

I've been wearing UA cold gear that's probably old enough to vote but decided to bite the bullet on some Smartwool base layers. The old cold gear stuff is great for those sub 20 degree days but with wearing a vest it was insanely hot in anything above 25-30 degrees after some walking on a sunny day. We'll see how the Smartwool stuff goes but do enjoy their socks quite a bit.
You'll love the merino wool.

Can't see thinking so hard about shirts. It's a shirt. I wear a tshirt. If you layer it right, don't matter if it's 0 degrees or 50 degrees you don't sweat and don't need to wick.

Back