Barrel length

Coach D

I was wondering if barrel length makes much of a difference. I was patterning two shot guns with different barrel lengths and using different choke tubes. I didn't seem to find much of a difference between 26 inch and 21 inch barrel with full choke. Any comments?
Let me add at 20, 30 and 50 yards.

Shouldn't as the actual choke constriction at the end of the barrel determines what the pattern will be. The barrel length should have no bearing on choke performance. It may have an affect on load velocity, but not choke performance.

Shouldn't as the actual choke constriction at the end of the barrel determines what the pattern will be. The barrel length should have no bearing on choke performance. It may have an affect on load velocity, but not choke performance.

What he said. :thumbsup: And any effect on velocity is quite minor.

Velocity will be very minor if any with modern loads. Pattern should not be effected. It comes down to a pointing vs swinging thing.

The length of the choke has an effect on the performance of a choke. The best and tightest patterns come from the long chokes tubes. Velocity is determined by three thing's other than Powder Charge, The length of the forcing cone, barrel length and the length of your choke or choke tube. Thus stated velocities are really a relative thing for the variables can make them higher or lower. If the shell does what you want it to in your gun, go with it..........Bob

Thanks guys, I would perfer to hunt with the shorter barrel make the gun lighter. But friends keep saying you can reach out and touch the birds with that short barrel, you need the longer one.

Back