Barn pigeons

little off subject but does anyone have experience with actually capturing pigeons in one of those wire traps you can buy? had one once and it never worked. have had success finding roosts that one can access climbing and at night shin light on them and then fish net them.

A big net in the top of the hay barn is the best way. You can you those traps and there is no need to camo them in. If you put hay or straw or try to blend it in, the pigeons won't go in. They like to have an opening or light over their head. Just leave the live trap in the open, throw some popcorn or cracker jacks in it and you will catch em. I use a recall pen sometimes too with a pigeon already in it.

Why not build a loft and get some homing Pigeons ? I did the whole process is way cool !

Great tool for training.

Pete

Why not build a loft and get some homing Pigeons ? I did the whole process is way cool !

Great tool for training.

Pete

I agree with the homing pigeon idea and would do myself just not at a point where i can put a coop up (yet). A guy I know does the same with homers but then he does go out and gets feral birds to shoot when the time comes at that point in the training and not have to sacrifice his homers.

I agree with the homing pigeon idea and would do myself just not at a point where i can put a coop up (yet). A guy I know does the same with homers but then he does go out and gets feral birds to shoot when the time comes at that point in the training and not have to sacrifice his homers.

MLF agree with you . The 6 homers I started out with just started flying last week.

I used to work with a springer trainer and we trapped hundreds of pigeons in NE Oklahoma with home made traps. Rooftops in downtown areas work great. No need for water if you will run them daily. When you get too many, just leave the lid open and they will get used to coming in and out.

Back