Barbed Wire

FCSpringer

How many of you have had stitches from this junk. It seems to be everywhere we go. But what concerns me is the fact that it got put in around several new public hunting grounds I came accross. I just don't understand the thinking around that. There is no cattle within a million miles, nor will there ever be, because the ground is too valueable for crops. So why put new shiny barbed wire around the public. It seems a smooth strand would work fine to determine the boundry. Man if you think that old rusty barbed wire is bad wait till ya run into the new stuff, "Deadly".I will just avoid those public areas in the future.

How many of you have had stitches from this junk. It seems to be everywhere we go. But what concerns me is the fact that it got put in around several new public hunting grounds I came accross. I just don't understand the thinking around that. There is no cattle within a million miles, nor will there ever be, because the ground is too valueable for crops. So why put new shiny barbed wire around the public. It seems a smooth strand would work fine to determine the boundry. Man if you think that old rusty barbed wire is bad wait till ya run into the new stuff, "Deadly".I will just avoid those public areas in the future.

There probably is a very good reason for the fence, one being is that it marks the boundary between the public and private land. I suppose its the same reason they put up a fence along the entire length of the Interstate. A lot of that fence never sees a cow either.

There probably is a very good reason for the fence, one being is that it marks the boundary between the public and private land. I suppose its the same reason they put up a fence along the entire length of the Interstate. A lot of that fence never sees a cow either.
Yea your right but it's not barbed wire on the freeway, that type of fence would be nice on the public. I can't think of 1 good reason for it.If a dog comes in contact with that new stuff it just rips them up terrible.

My Vizlador Cooper ripped his ear on barbed wire. Was bad and I couldn't stop the bleeding. I remembered seeing a Vet clinic not far away, good thing, I may have lost him. That ended the hunting for Cooper that trip.
That new barb wire your talking about was probably put up by irate private land owners bordering the public hunting areas. I hate to say it, they totally are aware of the damage it can do to dogs.

That new barb wire your talking about was probably put up by irate private land owners bordering the public hunting areas. I hate to say it, they totally are aware of the damage it can do to dogs.

I highly doubt that. The state as a matter of policy is going to fence off land that it owns. I think farmers have better things to do than spend thousands of dollars on fencing and numerous hours putting it up.

I highly doubt that an irate farmer would put up barbed wire to intentionally hurt dogs, especially that much fence. It acts as a boundry between fields, the land may have been bought recently and the new owner may decide to run cattle in the near future, after all you can't run cattle first and then build the fence. And as far as the land being used for crops only, have you ever seen a hard winter wheat field with cattle on it grazing? There are a number of reasons that the fence could be there but I highly doubt it was put there to hurt dogs or people. And as far as smooth fencing, that won't keep cattle in at all, I've seen calves slip through new 5 strand barbed wire fence before so if they walk through that, they will walk through smooth fencing. I'm not starting an arguement but it is the landonwers property, not ours, so they can do with it what they want. My GSP caught a barb in his left shoulder 3 years ago, tore him up bad. I cleaned the wound, stopped the bleeding, applied EMT Gel and applied a non stick bandage with 2 sided tape and all was well. I know the landowner well, he works for me, so I don't think that he installed the fence to hurt my dog or one of his 4 that he runs!

I'm with Lee on this one. One of the guys I hunt on uses electric fences instead, but he puts them around crop fields every year. The cattle aren't on the fields for long before they're moved to another one. SO, even if you don't see cattle at the time, they may use it for temporary placement. The cows will actually eat the corn and milo stalks and grain is delivered to them regularly. I don't like barb wire fences any more than the next guy, but if they installed them, they most likely have a use for them.

I understand when you guys replied from cattle country, and there I can understand. But hunting in these areas for 30 years, these areas are never going to see a cow, the Farmer has no buildings, no cows, no intention of ever having any, nor is there any cattle around for many miles that does or would want to rent it for cattle or horses ect. It is puzzeling. I am wondering if it had to be put in as an agreement to get it and alow hunting on it. There was no fence there before or any around the section, just put up when developed to Public. In areas where there is cattle it is very understandable. I guess if one hunts in one you will just have to steer way clear of it and hope you don't have dog head for a retrieve by it. Others I have seen absolutely no fence what so ever on public land. It seems to be in certain spots alone. Oh well just curious, thought someone might know. Either way I hope none of your dogs have to deal with it.

13 stitches in one GSP and 8 in another...I now carry a better first aid kit with a wound stapler.

I also hate the stuff, like the rest of you Tony has had his share of stitches from the stuff. I fell twice this past season tripping over old wired deeply buried in the weeds. Heck I had to look like crazy to find it and get my leg untangled. Lucky, I wasn't cut it was so old a rusty........Bob

Last edited:
I've missed the past week of hunting as a result of my 2 year old GSP Jake being cut by wire. He gets his staples out on Friday AM, and I hope to hunt tomorrow afternoon, and the last 10 days of our season here in Washington.
I hate to see this happen, but being raised in cattle country and having family and friends in the business I understand the need for barb wire. Maybe now the farmer/ranch has no cattle, but he knows in the furtue things for him or the next owner can, and will change with the prices in grain and cattle. If he's going to build fence, it's only to smart to use barb wire. I've built a lot of fence and trust me it's no fun to build, most guys do it for a reason, or at least this is how it is where I was raised and live now.
Here is Jake with a limit of birds we got last week the day he was cut.

I'd go to the nearest office of the outfit that controls the land and ask them why it was fenced, but I can give you some ideas. I can probably help get you there if you tell me where the land is and whether it's WMA/WPA, etc.

The federal folks are particularly prone to this but state wildlife officials do it at times, too. There are some laws--which admittedly are quite backwards from a hunter perspective--that require the landowner to fence land in some cases. There are also some pressures to fence it to mark the boundary in other cases. Both tend to be supported by agricultural interests.

It really bothers me too, lost hundreds of dollars and months of good dog time to the stuff over the years. I've gotten pretty familiar and reasonably proficient with a staple gun, but I don't like to have to use them.

I will try to find out where they are, and I am sure the farmer was not the one out there working hard to pound posts, thats not the deal. Again there will never be a cow within a 100 miles or actualy more. You guys have to understand that there are areas in the US that will just not have cows. Here in MN there is alot of that area, flat wide open space with the most fertile ground in the country. Will never be a cow...... The farmers have litteraly taken out any fence and they plow the dirt all the way accross the field right up to eachothers land, All you see is a different color in the dirt for a boundry. they must get along good. Now down by willmar I have been on some where there is no fences, but these ones in an area as described has brand new, I don't think it has anything to do with the farmer wanting it,he would most likely rather plant an extra row. It is not as if there is cover on the other side of the fence either, just dirt. So to keep the villagers in is not the case either, no one is sneeking accross to hunt the dirt. It is a slice of heaven in the middle of dirt county, with a brand new barbed wire fence. I some day will find them again and let you know TR but it may be awhile before I stroll by that area again. I had a dog once get riped from the chin all the way down to the groin, 600$ surgery 172 stitches, happened on opening day of grouse season near Inspiration peak in MN. Never got to hunt with a dog till the last day of pheasant season.

I do understand the need for barbed wire here for cows, thats the reason I am wondering about these unique situations where you would think anyone in there right mind would want that crap rolled up and tossed in a deep part of the lake. And replaced with a nice smooth strand to mark any boundry, all the signs seem to do the job just fine every where else. Puzzeling

Last edited:
I was trying to think of a logical reason for the new barbs. Doesn't seem to be one?:(
In Montana BLM fences are being replaced with new tight permanent fencing. State of the art fencing. All new fences and replacement fencing has smooth barbless cable on the bottom strand. Yup cattle proof. Being done this way for deer, antelope and elk. And probably wolves to.:eek:

I do understand the need for barbed wire here for cows, thats the reason I am wondering about these unique situations where you would think anyone in there right mind would want that crap rolled up and tossed in a deep part of the lake. And replaced with a nice smooth strand to mark any boundry, all the signs seem to do the job just fine every where else. Puzzeling

Unless its the policy of the WPA to fence all its areas then you have to look at it by a case by case. First of all, I doubt if anyone would go to the expense and time of putting up a new fence unless there was a reason. Some of those might be that the WPA intends to graze the area as part of managing the grass or it could be that one of the neighbor wants a people boundary between his land and the public land. Also if there is grass on both sides then the fence may be used to set a permanent boundary so one does not infringe on the other and cause an expensive Survey later on. Secondly, either owner on a boundary has a right to put up a fence or they can put it up together. Thirdly, a barb wire fence is probably the standard or most common type of fence and its the least expensive to maintain and lasts a long time.

Again , no neighboring cover, dirt.

Not a cow in a gazillion miles

Never will be, especialy by the MN DNR

And there are plenty of options just as cheap and will last as long.
I am sure there is a reason, but not a good one.

Again , no neighboring cover, dirt.

Not a cow in a gazillion miles

Never will be, especialy by the MN DNR

And there are plenty of options just as cheap and will last as long.
I am sure there is a reason, but not a good one.

You are probably right but either landowner can put up a fence along the boundary for any reason or for no reason. I'm not a big fan of fences myself as I've personally removed a lot of fence on my property and still have more to go. Some fences I cannot remove because its on a boundary and the neighbor must agree in order to remove it. Some neighbors have cattle on the other side so the fence is needed to keep them out.

If you look further in the WPA you are talking about, you might find the reason the fence is there. Few folks would go to the expense of a new fence without some reason for doing it. You may find that it is a very poor reason but then again either neighbor can put up a fence for any reason or for no reason. Another thing to keep in mind that if one of the landowers erects the fence, even if he paid the full cost, the fence now belongs to both of them jointly. This is important because now the fence cannot be removed without agreement from both parties. Each state has its own fencing laws so, if you are interested, you might find them on the state internet site.

Last edited:
You may find that it is a very poor reason but then again either neighbor can put up a fence for any reason or for no reason. Another thing to keep in mind that if one of the landowers erects the fence, even if he paid the full cost, the fence now belongs to both of them jointly. This is important because now the fence cannot be removed without agreement from both parties. Each state has its own fencing laws so, if you are interested, you might find them on the state internet site.

Bingo. I'm not entirely certain of what happened here, just saying there is certainly an explanation, and it may not make sense. Think of a local landowner who wants nothing to do with new public land next to his. With a county board that feels the same way about public land in general. And a county attorney who wants to get re-elected. Things get forced to happen that don't make sense sometimes. Unfortunately, hunter $$ ends up paying for things sometimes.

Re: grazing, no the DNR isn't going to import cows in but they and the feds are getting more and more into contracts with locals for grazing on public hunting lands. Can do a lot of good, I've seen some short term problems as well but I think it's a practice that we might see more of over time.

There is tons of barbed wire around here left over from the bygone days. Especially in the pastures and old homesteads we hunt. I just consider it an occupational hazard and a piece of americana. My female had to have stitches a few years back from it but she seems to have gotten educated and has not had a problem since. My Male got a few scrapes this year as he decided to jump back and forth through one line of fence I was hunting. I realize it is inconvenient but to tell you the truth when I see the old fences, implements and vehicles in the areas we hunt it brings out my nostalgic side and I learn to live with it.

Back