Banded quail

5 stand

I killed this guy today. Oklahoma State University band. I'll call it in Tomorrow and post the information.
IMG_20210207_121602425.jpgIMG_20210207_103649087.jpg

I tried to call it in this morning, voicemail was all I reached. The weather in the northern half of Oklahoma it's pretty ugly right now. I may not be able to reach anybody tomorrow either, we'll see. I'll post what I find out when I get it. I had planned to hunt today, but the weather changed my mind. Looks like we're done for this year. Already looking forward to next.

Thank you AKP.
I had watched that before but I forgot about it.
I've been trying to call in the band, have not reached anyone yet. I've left messages.

Maybe with all of the crappy weather they aren’t in... stick with it and let us know. Man, I had a few hunts of a lifetime out there in 2014-16.... moved 20 plus coveys in two half day hunts by myself in January of 2016 on one particular WMA out there.

Band info: Was an adult bird, banded: 3/17/ 20
That's all the information they gave me.

I think I’ve walked over those Sandhills a few times. If that’s where I think it is, I saw a covey of blues running down the road there in 2016. First blues I’d ever seen and one had a little gps and antenna backpack on. Pretty neat. Had to be 35 plus in the covey.

Thanks for the comment AKP. I'm sure my pictures are going to generate interest. I'll probably have plenty of help, over there next year.

I hunted blues for several years in New Mexico. Fun little birds to hunt. Don't leave your track shoes at home. I shot a lot of shells at those little boogers.

I’ve never shot one, but I now realize that a lot of points I had on those hunts there in 2016 were blues. They’d just disappear before I got there. I didn’t think much of it because I found so many Bobs.

I didn't have a pointer back then.
I hunted them with my black lab. We would try to jump them twice and then they would stick, and I mean stick.
I don't know how I'm going to hunt them with my pointer. But we'll figure something out when the time comes.

Back