Bag limits if I hunt in KS and CO same day

JHoch00

I'm planning to buy a Kansas license this year and check it out because I usually hunt right on the border.

Anyone know how the laws are regarding bag limits? Meaning, if I did shoot three birds in CO (that is a BIG IF:p ) and I go to KS, can I just shoot one more? Or, if I am in KS and get four, can I not come back to CO? or... since I am on the border with two licenses, can I shoot 7, (3 in CO, 4 in KS)?

Like I said... it is pre-season optimism... most likely I'll never face this problem, but was curious if anyone knew.

hide one under each hubcap 'n yer good to go! :p

I tried the hubcap thing, but the problem is that I only bother to shoot the big pheasants... So they will just not fit under the hubcap. Maybe if I buy a bigger truck?

I remember in the mid 60's thru 70's when it was an issue. At that time, we went to a weight station and had the birds tagged by the scale attendant, or highway patrol officer. Then proceeded across stateline to attempt the other limit. I have done it many times with quail, never more than 6 birds with pheasants. This was the nebraska/kansas border. Now days good luck bagging a limit, and even better luck finding an attended weight station. Nice to know some of us old timers around to solve these problems, and pass along the repository of knowledge to the next generation. Just kidding.

The hubcap hiding works really good right up to the point when the Game Warden gets out of his truck and his GSP goes on point at your wheel. :D

Well, not that I didn't trust the hub cap advice, but I emailed DOW... and...

Hi Jason,

Bag and possession limits are separate for states. If you harvest
pheasants in Colorado I would keep them separated in a sealed ice chest
with your Colorado license; and have another chest for the other state.

Thank you,

Bob

Bob Fisher
Colorado Division of Wildlife
6060 Broadway
Denver Co, 80216

So it is:) Now that I know I can shoot 7... I am sure I will not get more than 2 ever:)

If you shoot 3 birds in CO and then come to KS and shoot 4 more you will be in big trouble for over bag limit UNLESS those birds are cleaned and on ice(with identifying plumage left intact)and it's a day or two into the season, that's where the possession limit should kick in!

Limts

I have done just that hunted kansas in the morning and colorado in the evening I did the seperate coolers with each state lincense on hand should the need arise and you can leave a leg with spur attached and plumage should not be a problem atleast thats what the books says. I have had not trouble but when in doubt ask the local dow officer and let them know that way if problems arise you can always fall back on that. Just me talking thought what do I know. - Josh

Back