Bad news

I just got bad news that my 5 year old Springer has a hear murmur. It is a grade 3 on scale of 1-6. Has anyone had a dog with this before? Doc. says he can still hunt but nothing more than a couple hours and then rest. I would love to hear from anyone that has dealt with this before.

Sorry to hear about your Springer. At least he can still get out and hunt a little. I had a Springer in the mid 90's that at the same age (5) developed hip dysplasia. That put and end to his hunting. Three years later came down with AIHA (autoimmune hemolytic anemia) and we lost him.

Best wishes to you and your dog.

I just got bad news that my 5 year old Springer has a hear murmur. It is a grade 3 on scale of 1-6. Has anyone had a dog with this before? Doc. says he can still hunt but nothing more than a couple hours and then rest. I would love to hear from anyone that has dealt with this before.

Sorry to hear about that. I guess the most important thing is, you can still get him out there to hunt with you, even on a limited basis. That's what they enjoy doing the most. Take care of him the best you can, thats all we can do.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you can get some help for him. Hunt him as much as he can do, it gives them hope and dignity..............Bob

had this with an older female brittany.
there is an Iams dog food that is low sodium/healthy ingredients and it really helps. Especially the lower sodium. My old girl made it to the age of 15 so don't lose hope.
I would also suggest carrying some type of hi sugar/hi protein treat when hunting.
If you notice the dog getting slow or weak give them the treat.
you will get another hour or two out of them.
I tryed to hunt her for 1-2 hours and then rest her for 1-2 hours and then hunt some more. Just watch your dog.
Best of luck and I will ask my wife if she remembers which type of Iams it was.

Really sorry to hear that. Bummer dude! :(

I had a golden with the exact same condition once. Didn't find out until he was about 3-4 yrs old (I had always wondered prior to that why he frequently seemed to hit a wall & totally space out at a certain point during training - turns out it was because his poor heart was being taxed to the limit). It broke my heart for him & me both to find that out AFTER all that training - he was a really good dog! Still hunted him some, but could never push him or let him run to his heart's content after that...

Just let your dog be & enjoy him for what he is...my dog lived to be 15 & made a great family companion and light-hunter all those years. I did pick up another dog for the hard core stuff though!

Back