Bad hips

Crossing shot

I have a chance to get a free one year old britt out of a good bloodline. There is some concern on her hips. The breeder/trainer said her gait changes in the field.

My vet called me this morning. He told me about the dog and said if the hips are alright with him will I take the dog. I said yes. This afternoon he called and said the dog is on the way but he started saying things that concerned me.

I had a male britt that had hip trouble later in life. He hunted 9 or ten years. My 10 yo britt has joint trouble. A specific dog food allows her to hunt and would be helpful to the new dog.

What do you guys think?

This afternoon he said she had no hip. I assume he meant hip socket. If we have to we'll fix her. This morning I was thinking if it is not severe now and I could hunt her for six or seven years I would be happy.

I will see the dog tomorrow. What questions should I ask? My brother-in-law took in a GSP that could not hunt; it had a sad life.

I would think the vet could tell quite a bit by x-raying the dogs hips. But the dog is still young. Can't have them OFA until about 2 years of age. If there is even any question about her hips she should be spayed and never bred. If you do get her I would put her on a daily dose of Cosequin for the rest of her life to help prevent any joint issues.

I had a lab examined at 6 months and she had severe hip dysplexia and she was no good for the field. I did a lot of water work with her cause it was a good way to exercise her and not tax her joints. If you want a family dog take her, if you want a hunter pass. Like Zeb said she should be spayed. I was lucky I had a health guarantee with the breeder and I got my money back and I had her spayed. I will say she is the best family dog I've had, she is our big bear. She is 11 and does have issues with stairs and I did forewarn my family that her life may be cut short cause of her hip issue.

She will be spayed. Nice to hear from you guys. My nephew had an injured dog that got a new hip. The dog food I mentioned above worked better than the vet's medication. If she needs both, so be it. Surgery is another thing.

Good to hear that things may not be bleak. I understand you cannot sell a questionable dog for thousands of dollars if it has questionable hips. Part of this price is for a breeder, which is not a option for me.

Getting another pup soon and want to hunt it with this one.

I had a lab examined at 6 months and she had severe hip dysplexia and she was no good for the field. I did a lot of water work with her cause it was a good way to exercise her and not tax her joints. If you want a family dog take her, if you want a hunter pass. Like Zeb said she should be spayed. I was lucky I had a health guarantee with the breeder and I got my money back and I had her spayed. I will say she is the best family dog I've had, she is our big bear. She is 11 and does have issues with stairs and I did forewarn my family that her life may be cut short cause of her hip issue.

My brother had a GSP like your lab. This britt is hunting now and is a year old. I would be surprised if it receives any treatment.

Yeah we considered surgery, but the vet quoted us for her condition it would be 3k.....we thought that could be doable, then he said per hip! He showed me the x-Ray and I said you don't have to be a vet to see the hips were messed up! If the Britts hip issue is mild she will adjust to her condition, I would say as she ages you may not be able to hunt her hard day after day. Does she have hip dysplexia?

Not sure. Just trying to be informed when I look at her. I read where it is a difficult x-ray. Have to get them just right. This is happening too fast. Might tell him I will keep her for a month and go from there.

For the hip X-ray they have to put the dog under then place the dog on their back and press down on the hind quarters, basically separating the hip joint or ball and socket. The issue is the lack of a socket to keep the femur in place. It is a costly procedure to have done. My breeder required two test to be conducted, so I had to find a vet that could do both.....I forget what they were called. The X-rays are sent off for review then you get the dreaded official letter telling you the severity of hip dysplexia. Glucosamine is a very good product that helped our lab.

For the hip X-ray they have to put the dog under then place the dog on their back and press down on the hind quarters, basically separating the hip joint or ball and socket. The issue is the lack of a socket to keep the femur in place. It is a costly procedure to have done. My breeder required two test to be conducted, so I had to find a vet that could do both.....I forget what they were called. The X-rays are sent off for review then you get the dreaded official letter telling you the severity of hip dysplexia. Glucosamine is a very good product that helped our lab.

Unless the dog is 2 years old you can not send the xray of the hips in for evaluation. Any quality vet can do an xray and a preliminary reading to let an owner know what to expect. To have a prelim is generally less than $100. If you want to have an OFA of the dogs hips again the dog has to be 2 years old. The average cost of having the xray and OFA reading runs about $200-$400. This why no dog should be bred unless the dog has hip and elbow OFA ratings of good or excellent, must have annual eye cerf, and EIC and CNM clear. Otherwise you are just asking for problems.

Last edited:
Took the dog. The vet, a friend and hunting companion in good years, said not to worry about the hips. He'll take care of the hips. I have a GSP of his that he takes care of medically. If a surgery is necessary I will make sure I pay for any supplies used and take him hunting.

Didn't know the whole story yesterday. The litter owner drove 3 hours to have this vet check the dogs' hips. My dog was questionable.

This is a sad story. Hip Dysplasia can be virtually eliminated by only breeding dogs which have passed on OFA/Penn Hip radiographic testing.

Bad breeding lets it persist and flourish in our various sporting breeds. :mad:

NB

This is a sad story. Hip Dysplasia can be virtually eliminated by only breeding dogs which have passed on OFA/Penn Hip radiographic testing.

Bad breeding lets it persist and flourish in our various sporting breeds. :mad:

NB

It can increase your odds but does not eliminate it by a long shot. Some breeds are more prone to dysplasis as well.

It can increase your odds but does not eliminate it by a long shot. Some breeds are more prone to dysplasis as well.

That's why I said "virtually eliminated".

I'll cite a specific example. IME, If we bred a Brittany litter where both parents and all four grandparents were graded OFA "Good or Excellent", none of those puppies ever had problems with HD. Zero, Zilch, Nada, ..........

I like those odds.

That's why I said "virtually eliminated".

I'll cite a specific example. IME, If we bred a Brittany litter where both parents and all four grandparents were graded OFA "Good or Excellent", none of those puppies ever had problems with HD. Zero, Zilch, Nada, ..........

I like those odds.

I take virtually eliminated to mean that 99% of those dogs won't have hip dysplasia and that simply isn't the case. Puppys from OFA good or excellent hips still get dysplasia at a rate higher than 1%. I bought a pup from OFA excellent parents and every dog in the pedigree for 5 generations had OFA parents. The sire was an NFC and dam was a MH and I bought from the best breeder in Canada. Guess what, got a dysplastic puppy. That is a long way from Zero Zilch Nada. And remember most puppys from an OFA litter are never tested.

Last edited:
I take virtually eliminated to mean that 99% of those dogs won't have hip dysplasia and that simply isn't the case. Puppys from OFA good or excellent hips still get dysplasia at a rate higher than 1%. I bought a pup from OFA excellent parents and every dog in the pedigree for 5 generations had OFA parents. The sire was an NFC and dam was a MH and I bought from the best breeder in Canada. Guess what, got a dysplastic puppy. That is a long way from Zero Zilch Nada. And remember most puppys from an OFA litter are never tested.

First, I don't think that virtually necessarily means 99%. Yes, a high percentage but probably not 99%. No doubt that if the parents and grandparents were all OFA good or excellent that the possibility of hip dysplaysia would be very minimal. Secondly, listen to what Natty has to say since he speaks from many years of experience. He is a retired veterinarian that specialized in research and pathology, and has bred and raised dogs for many years.

Back