Bad day

cowdog

Had the worst day huntin in recent memory today (like theres ever a bad day huntin) went and met the army this mornin and I can say for sure thats not my style. Peeled off at noon with a couple half hearted friends and we got 3 birds, I got nothin but my dog did get a rooster so he did better than me. Oh well got to take one for the team every now and then. Tomorrow will be different.........Tryin to snow in yuma right now

I dislike the organizational aspects of big groups. Somebody has to be General Patton, and dispense orders, or it's chaos. Group or lead by committee, is the pits. Problem comes when there are more than one "Patton". Either way it's miserable. Hell, If I wanted to hunt like that I just join the army! last group that sucked me in was completely rudderless, my dog watched the partially trained, hunters and dogs, my dog, just stood around wagging her tail and uddered a soft pitched whine. I couldn't have said it better myself, as the spectacle unfurled. Best days are alone or with a trusted companoin, and a couple of reliable dogs, almost silent, everybody knows what's going on, no fragile egos, no idiots to suffer, or lackies to baby, worry about where anybody is, or stray shots, just a synchronous efficient machine.

I had just the opposite happen yesterday. Our group of 5 was walking fence rows & Corners for the first 4 hours of the morning; having fair results flushing far more birds that we were taking.

At about 10am we noticed a large group of hunters walking a 1/4 section; looked real organized & well behaved; so we ended up joining them for a few fields. One of the guys was a Local ( The General ) with permission to hunt everywhere we went.

Turns out at last count 22 in the group and we were knocking down birds right & left; had a great time.

Today was much better, Saw birds in every field I went in probly 250 all together
Alot to be said for doin your own thing

Hey Cowdog glad to hear it was better today. I'm hunting dogless and you ever want some company hit me up. I'm also in Colorado Springs. Found a good area but without a dog....well it was nice weather anyway.

I am with you on the group/army thing. after this weekend I am out of big groups. Just not enjoyable. Looking forward to a couple guys and letting the dog be in charge.

Back