B&P Long Range loads(MB)

Bird Buster

Has anyone used this load for pheasants on here besides Rooster Roaster? After doing some research on it sounds pretty interesting and doesn't cost tons like the newer loads out. Long range Nickel plated lead for 12.00 a box. Only problem is I cannot find it any place that sells it by the box reasonably. The company that sells it wants $10 to ship a box that sells for $12. Way too high for me, hate to buy a case until I see how it patterns in my gun. Free shipping on cases though on their website.

Damn Springer, you & I don’t agree on this one at all. I’ve been shooting them for the last 3 yrs exclusively (including Field Trials) & have converted the rest of my gun team as well because of the long range performance.

(Maybe I missed a bird for you along the way but don’t blame the shells :))

The only problem I’ve seen w/ them is a few guns w/ sloppy ejectors let the hulls fall behind but I’ve only seen that a couple times. B&P is a top quality manufacturer that produces all of their own components. Our gun team cut open shells from all the top quality manufacturers & measured shot for consistency & hardness & the B&P MB Long range came in #1.

I love these shells.

Thanks guys for your hands on experiences. I have patterned about every load out there in my gun and was real curious on this one. Fiocchi nickel plated lead didn't fare too well under my patterning tests years ago, that is why I am unsure on this one as sounds very similar. They use a special wad system which is supposed to provide better down range patterns consistently plus not beat you up as bad. They claim nickel plating reduces feather draw, not sure on this either.

I just can’t believe you’re dissing my favorite shells. Next time you see me you’re gonna have to wonder if I’m going to drop the bird on your dog just to teach you a lesson.

(Of course I wouldn’t do that since our dogs are kin folk.) ;)

I stand by my opinion that B&P makes the most consistently high quality shot shells on the market and that consistency is the key to good shooting. They are the only manufacturer that makes their own powder, hulls & wads. Even Fiocchi buys their wads from B&P & advertises that fact as a sales tool. Because they have internal control over their components, you can expect their shells to be more consistent than a manufacturer who buys their components from various outside suppliers.

For what it's worth, I have just as much confidence in Federals but I switched to the B&Ps because I can get them delivered to my door (no freight/ no tax) within a couple days of placing the order & at a better price.

I have never heard such rubbish in my life about B&P. I have been shooting B&P in my 16b for the last couple of years and have found they are nothing but high quality. I killed 7 wild roosters with 8 shots last week. I have also been using the 2.5" 12b High Pheasant with great success.
I bought a case of the 12b MB Long Range but only shot a few of them. I thought they were a little to hot for my SXS. My buddy used a box that I gave him for Christmas last year and had no complaints.

I know guys that are shooting them at clays and having good luck. I just don't understand why those shooters can't kill with them.

I just got back from a trip using Prairie Storm loads exclusively. Way too dense for close range shooting. I had patterened them previously so that is kind of what I thought would happen. I also had 3 birds that were cripples and if I didn't have good dogs they would have been goners. In my opinion any load can have cripple issues if you do not hit them with the main part of the pattern and are only hitting them with few bb's on the edge of the pattern. I do not believe condemning B&P loads with cripple issues can solely be attributed to the shell truthfully if they pattern well.

Just a quick question or two on the B&P ammo. What size shot were they using at those trials and what type of birds were being used? Most of the time it's the Indian not the arrow when we want to look for something to blame.

I have never used hunting B&P ammo, but I did shoot a fair amount of the target ammo when I was shooting a lot of sporting clays. Good long range ammo on difficult targets. Too expensive though for the amount of shooting I was doing and went to something cheaper. If the field ammo is anything like the target ammo, then it's top shelf stuff IMO. All you have to do is cut one open and see for yourself.

Ken, were these the B&P's that were being used at the trials? http://bandpusa.com/hunting/upland/mb-long-range.html

I have never used them personally, but nickel plated and high velocity as these are I find it difficult to believe that they wouldn't work at close or long ranges. I do know that the company sets a high standard on their ammo processing procedures. Much in the same or possibly even stricter than american made ammo. Not doubting what you saw just stating the companies reputation.

Back