Aya 117 20 gauge

benelli-banger

Close to buying....dt, straight stock, splinter fore end, cyl/ic, 26" barrels...95% gun, seen about 8 pics...very nice engraving, case colored with lots remaining...$1600. Seems ok....thoughts????? Uncle buck???? Anyone???? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Close to buying....dt, straight stock, splinter fore end, cyl/ic, 26" barrels...95% gun, seen about 8 pics...very nice engraving, case colored with lots remaining...$1600. Seems ok....thoughts????? Uncle buck???? Anyone???? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

BB,

At one time I was knee deep in Spanish sidebys, AYAs and Uggis. Couple No 2's and a Number 1 in the AYA sidelocks and a 4/53 BL recently. Also had a lower grade AYA 12 SL which I think was a 117 or similar?? The model number was not marked on the barrels.

The 117 is a SL a couple grades below the AYA # 1s and 2s. Hopefully, it has DTs bc/ the single trigger spanish doubles can give big troubles many times. I would stay far away from any AYA gun from the DIARM era; and they were so marked on the barrels.

IME the relative quality on AYAs will vary all over the map, some are gems and others, not so much. The rule is "Buy the gun, not the name".;) A gun so configured would make a good grouse gun!!:D

My two coppers.

NB

AyA makes good sidelock shotguns in general. I'd be more concerned about how well you can shoot a short and light 20 gauge wand. They are wonderful to carry and swing, but not always the easiest shotgun to master when it comes to consistent hitting. Guns like these need to fit to hit. I guess there's only one way to find out. Good luck!

Ya the 26" tubes on a 20 worry me, I have 30"s on my light Rizzini and really helps the balance.

I just bought a 16b 4/53 with 26" tubes choked cyl/IC for $1500 at about 90-95%. I don't mind the 26" barrels but sure wish it was IC/Mod. I've been thinking about tubes but haven't made up my mind yet on that issue.
$1500 for a 117 in 95% shaped doesn't sound to bad, maybe a little high but it just depends on the gun.

Back