Avoiding released birds

Ben123

I asked about this recently and had no replies so will try again.

How do I avoid released birds if I pay a landowner to hunt? I am assuming not everyone is truthful about whether they release birds. But, the price point is probably a safe indicator. Those of you who understand the reality of this situation, can you help here? What is a fair price for land access alone? It seems that if the price is high enough and there are hunters on the land several times a week, the only way it works is to release birds.

For example, I assume that $50 a day or less means no released birds. I assume $200 a day means there are released birds. But what about the range in between?

Are there any laws in SD that require disclosure of released birds?

Even with good pheasant hunting land, if it is hunted too often, the birds will simply move. So, if landowners are charging for access and hunters are on a property three or more times a week and there are birds, I have questions about the source of those birds.

I would be happy to pay for land access if I could know the truth about how often it had been hunted and whether the birds are released. How can you have confidence on those points in SD unless you know the landowner?

Thanks

How do I avoid released birds if I pay a landowner to hunt? I am assuming not everyone is truthful about whether they release birds. But, the price point is probably a safe indicator. Those of you who understand the reality of this situation, can you help here? What is a fair price for land access alone? It seems that if the price is high enough and there are hunters on the land several times a week, the only way it works is to release birds.

For example, I assume that $50 a day or less means no released birds. I assume $200 a day means there are released birds. But what about the range in between?

Even with good pheasant hunting land, if it is hunted too often, the birds will simply move. So, if landowners are charging for access and hunters are on a property three or more times a week and there are birds, I have questions about the source of those birds.

I would be happy to pay for land access if I could know the truth about how often it had been hunted and whether the birds are released. How can you have confidence on those points in SD unless you know the landowner?

Thanks

I will try to answer some of your questions. First there isn't any law requiring disclosure of released birds. Anyone in SD can buy some pheasants and release them. If a hunting preserve then they must release birds in relation to the harvested birds.

The price for a paid hunt is generally related to the quality of the hunting experience whether it is released or wild birds. A quality hunting experience with only wild birds may charge more than a place with released birds. Supply and demand, quality of the hunt and competition usually dictates the price a hunting operation may charge.

You can almost always tell if the the bird you just shot is released by looking at its beak. Released birds will have a hole in the upper beak where the blinder was attached.

Hunting pressure can impact the hunt some but generally pheasants do not travel more than about a mile and a half for shelter. If the area you hunt has a lot of hunting pressure and there is quality habitat near by then some birds may move. Excessive hunting pressure can also deplete the population too. Most wild bird operations will try to manage the hunting pressure so that its paid customers can all enjoy quality hunting. Uguide's operation is a good example of how to manage wild birds for its customers.

Hope this helps.

LM

Released Birds

In my limited experience the released birds were obviously weaker than the wild when I hunter on a reserve. The strength of their flushes was obviously less. Some barely flew, one landing in a nearby tree within a stone's throw. But if released birds have been in the wild long enough, they become as strong as the born wild and are just as much a challenge to hunt. I've heard, but do not know as a fact, that pay hunting places in SD buy birds and release them before the season starts so that they are wild by the time they are hunted. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Last edited:

Thanks

Ben, when birds are eing bought for $3-6/bird the econimics is slanted towards ALL birds being released if somebody wants to maximize profit margin.

$200/day can buy a lot of birds. With wild birds hunters consume and disturb a lot of acres.

When you come and hunt one of my places and see the birds flushing 1/4 mile ahead you'll be wishing I was releasing birds.:thumbsup:

West River and Presho camps had spectacular hatches and that makes the hunting a lot easier.

I believe all released birds have to be marked in some way like the blinder hole on beak or clipped toenail.

Thanks

Does the place your going to have a web site? If they do and they advertise hunting from September through March, or advertise bird limits above 3 it is a preserve and they release birds.

If they don'y have a website you could call the SDGF&P to see if they hold a preserve license. There 200+ licensed preserves in the state.

Otherwise you could ask for references or call the local chamber of commerce to see what they know about the operation.

Chances are if its a small operator your likely just going to have to ask some direct questions over the phone about released birds, quality of habitat and hunting pressure. Draw your own conclusions about the validity of the answers.

Hunting in South Dakota has been a journey and learning experience for all of us "veterans". You pay your dues and it gets easier every time you do it.

If you want an ironclad guarantee on wild bird hunting how about commiting to freelancing on public land? You won't get your limit everyday by noon but matching wits with and working for every rooster you harvest is most of the fun.

I'd suspect that it is the operations that charge $500/day or more, have a big lodge and never hunt more than 5 minutes from the lodge are the operations releasing pheasants.

If you see many, many more roosters than hens, might be a release operation.

Knocking on doors and paying a tresspass fee.... birds will be wild.

IMO -- unless you purchase a hunt at a preserve our with outfitter I would assume all birds are wild. You mention landowner as if you're getting permission to hunt and paying him...? My experience is released birds won't last much past a few days.

Back