Average drive time to hunt

Bob Peters

I'm just curious how long your drive is to a normal hunting area? I'm not as interested in people that only take one big trip a year, but more looking for those that go for a weekend or just a day trip. I live in St. Paul, so I have to drive an hour to hit marginal habitat, and 2-3 hours to get to better ground. And for the people that drive 5 minutes or just step out the backdoor, I'm jealous.

Last year was a tuff year for my pickup and trailer. My average last year was 2.5 hrs windshield time. I hope things are better this year in my back yard.

Average time? 15 minutes...

I can't even respond. This year they won't let us drive through Canada so no pheasant hunting for the first time in over 30 years. Otherwise 5 days to birds in MT

I shouldnt speak for them but last year we had a couple that flew into Dallas from Denmark and then drove to SD. They shouldve gotten some kind of award!!

I'm kind of a far and wide range hunter, a couple places are 45 minutes away, a few out about 1hr 15min, and then a few more are 2+ hrs. Looking at the map for new places is a regular evening activity.

I am the 10 minute average guy. One place might be almost 20 minutes, but almost all are less that 10 miles from my home. I am lucky, I know! About to head out now!

I live near Bemidji Mn so 3-5 hours one way depending on whether I hunt MN or SD. Doesn't matter as long as me and the dog get out in the field, we're happy.

There is a place you might see a bird, 20 minutes away. 1 he. Yeah maybe, but gets pounded.2 hrs? Now you're getting into fringe.3 hours, yeah but have to get permission. 4 hours...yeah...

Had my 3 at a spot almost 5 miles away from me before 9:00 this morning, we finished my buddies limit 8 miles from home, but in a different direction, so that was about 15 minutes of drive time...now can I get some sympathy!!!

If I'm road hunting ditches 30 to 45 minutes to get to a decent area, to reach the large public tracts I've been hunting this season it's a 2 hrs 15 minute drive each way.

I don’t drive, I walk out my front door. I do commend all you that put the miles in to get to the birds. The furthest away hunters I have seen in my area this year were from Virginia. Thanks for coming to Kansas.

Had my 3 at a spot almost 5 miles away from me before 9:00 this morning, we finished my buddies limit 8 miles from home, but in a different direction, so that was about 15 minutes of drive time...now can I get some sympathy!!!
That sucks!

Back