August Roadside Survey Data Released - Birds up 151%

PrairieBelle

Iowa DNR released the annual roadside survey today - lots of good data at the link below. Good news! Birds are up 151% statewide and nearly 200% in my neck of the woods. Definitely follows what I have been seeing - many rabbits, more quail and many more pheasants. We even had some fuzzballs running around 2 weeks ago -- they'll be pretty young come the end of October. We're still way below the long term average, but I'll take it! Enjoy.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/PheasantSmallGame/AugustRoadsideSurveyData.aspx

Last edited:
You betcha!

I pray to the powers above that this report is accurate. These last several years have been tough to say the least!:)

Not the negative Nancy type but I noticed South Dakota's report was released as well! I am hoping some "backroom boys" didn't decide to work some data to sell more licenses this year:eek: Both Iowa and South Dakota took huge hits last year in revenue.

I don't think I can sleep tonight! You can be damn sure Sophie has a gleam in her eye!

the percentages really are meaningless, compared to the raw number......where there was 10 last year there are 25 this year, on a 25 mile route, that ain't much. :eek:

You're right

You are correct hunter94 that the numbers still won't mean birds are plentiful in Iowa. I have said many times and will again that I will take any improvement/positive indicators concerning our pheasants and populations.

Like oldandnew and captaincoot have said on here before--any improvement is worth hollering and feeling good about.

I compare it to the last gal in my local watering hole around 2 a.m. If I am lonely she is damn pretty by a far sight!:p That is how I am feeling about these survey numbers for the upcoming season.

You are correct hunter94 that the numbers still won't mean birds are plentiful in Iowa. I have said many times and will again that I will take any improvement/positive indicators concerning our pheasants and populations.

Like oldandnew and captaincoot have said on here before--any improvement is worth hollering and feeling good about.

I compare it to the last gal in my local watering hole around 2 a.m. If I am lonely she is damn pretty by a far sight!:p That is how I am feeling about these survey numbers for the upcoming season.

lol,i agree KBell......now, if you can get those percentage increases for the next 2-3 years, you WILL see a big difference...it is by all means, a good start.

this year has been perfect for a good roaside count, augest had alot of warm wet dewy muggy mornings that gave into good counting conditions, i scouted quite often and saw many birds along gravel rouds and vasking on fence lines and bails of hay early in the mornings. i also have a TON of rabbits in my area.

This is good for this year, but a lot of young birds will be harvested. Overall cock numbers are up, but the bulk of the numbers are based on hens and chicks driving up total population. Like others have said, we need 2-3 more years just like this.

Look out though - Farmer's Almanac predicting heavy snowfall this winter.

Something like 90% of hens do not make it to their second nesting season, and a rooster's life span is even shorter... food for thought.

This is good for this year, but a lot of young birds will be harvested. Overall cock numbers are up, but the bulk of the numbers are based on hens and chicks driving up total population. Like others have said, we need 2-3 more years just like this.

Look out though - Farmer's Almanac predicting heavy snowfall this winter.

you guys get some brutal winters, followed by some cold, wet spring weather, i have noticed that trend a lot over the past 5 years or so...losing habitat just compounds the problem too. :eek:

you guys get some brutal winters, followed by some cold, wet spring weather, i have noticed that trend a lot over the past 5 years or so...losing habitat just compounds the problem too. :eek:

Yeah. It seems to be the case since 2006:(. The bump that Iowa and much of the mid-west is seeing this year in bird numbers (I believe) is due to a good second hatch attempt by those wild hens. Conditions really turned around later in the season for nesting hens and their broods . They pulled it off. Tough and determined birds they are:).

Back