At what point do you retire your dog?

gimruis

My yellow lab is 11.5 years old. This will be her 12th hunting season. I have seen a noticeable decline in stamina from her the past two years. She is in good shape for an 11.5 year old dog and still has the desire and health to hunt. I just need to give her a few days rest in between hunts and cannot hunt her in any kind of heat. She had a comprehensive vet visit last month and the vet seemed a little surprised that I have still used her as a hunting dog at this age.

At what point do you just retire the dog from hunting altogether? She would be devastated if I left her at home and I know that day is inevitably coming.

Many years ago I posed the same question to my hunting partner and friend; the Golden was somewhere between 11-13 yrs. He replied - if he jumps out of the truck, let him hunt...that was the scientific response!

Last season, at 12, my Golden hunted all season, with limited hunting in warmer weather. He prefers a muddy sloppy slough - right at home in the mud...
At 11.5 your dog should do well.

I wish I could give you the right answer.
Twice I've carried dogs out of the field, exhausted, that I had raised from birth, because I thought they could still hunt in the terrain and conditions I put them.
I was wrong and I think it was cruel. They deserved better respect.
For me, I hope the next time I will err on the side of caution.
My oldest two are now 10, exercise them regularly on my farm, and they are slowing down. If nothing changes, they will be in SD multiple times this Fall.
My plan this Fall will be to hunt them on smaller tracts - quarter sections and in ideal weather conditions, no hot days or deep snow.

Well, here's my .02 cents. It should be on you. When you're hunting an older dog, be observant! Watch for signs that he/she are struggling. You know your dog better then anyone, the signs are there, just look for them. There is not a gamebird in existence that's worth pushing your dog to hard, or to far. JMHO.

I don't know what you should do, but here is what I'm doing since I'm in a similar spot.

Dutch my 12.5 year old that is still very healthy for his age, he cannot handle heat and doesn't have the stamina that he used to but I plan to hunt him this fall. He will hunt duck opener on a small pond for a couple hours. He will also go to SD and be let out to work an easy ditch or small grass patch when the opportunity exists. He will also have a Rimidyl with his supper before sleeping on the bed next to me. Luckily I have a couple other dogs that will handle the Saskatchewan goose hunts, the big sloughs, and CRP. I know I will need to be very careful to minimize the risk, but I'll be damned if the risk will keep him from doing what he loves.

My friends have always said the old guy Dutch is just like Randy Moss. A pain in the ass off the field, but a game changer on the field! I bet he will still pull his weight.

I have hunted mine every year of their life. I might take them out for 1 or 2 hours in field that I think they can handle or use them to hunt ditches that younger dogs will hunt to quick. Let them sleep in back truck the rest of day.

He will hunt duck opener on a small pond for a couple hours. He will also go to SD and be let out to work an easy ditch or small grass patch when the opportunity exists. He will also have a Rimidyl with his supper before sleeping on the bed next to me...I know I will need to be very careful to minimize the risk, but I'll be damned if the risk will keep him from doing what he loves.
This. Exactly this.

Simple, how much time does your dog walk behind you when hunting light cover? Pick and choose your cover for your senior dog carefully. Might have to limit their time, but take them. Who will take you someday?
Never. But in really thick dense cattails with snow she has always been slower to get through that, sometimes selecting a trail that I've already made myself.

Who's gonna take me? No one lol.

Never. But in really thick dense cattails with snow she has always been slower to get through that, sometimes selecting a trail that I've already made myself.

Who's gonna take me? No one lol.
Your thread got me to thinking (too much time on my hands).

When do I retire from chasing bird dogs and pheasants?

Couple of my thoughts/ points --
1. Don't mind hunting with a couple of other friends, the comradery is enjoyable, but I truly love hunting alone with just one of my dogs - just the 2 of us.
2. Started 30 years ago making multiple trips to SD with 4 or 5 friends that also had dogs. It was great fun. The number that goes now sometimes is down to maybe only 2 and last year only one. 2 years ago, I made 2 solo trips in January to SD, 2 of the best trips ever.
3. At 74, my brain, coordination, reflexes, strength nowhere near what they were just 2 years ago.

How do you know when to stop going?

How do you know when to stop going?
As long as I'm still able to do it from a health and time stand point I guess. I'm about half your age though, so I feel like I still have a lot of years left. I started when I was 16.

Right now health is not an issue but time is. A full time job, a family, a house, hobbies, and a lot of other crap to do limits my time afield. Plus an 11.5 year old dog now.

The fact that you're still able to bird hunt at 74 is pretty impressive. Father Time catches up with everyone at some point.

I have found you mostly know when a dog is ready to retire. Some retire themselves, and other dogs you have to retire because of failing conditions.

If you are exercising your dogs year-round (even long walks or swims in the summer) you should know what you have heading into the fall.

That said I had a Brittany that at eleven simply said bring me along, but I will hang here. We were hunting a small pond on a nice September youth waterfowl hunt ... she made a couple of nice retrieves ... all of a sudden I noticed she was "missing". Looked back at the truck at the approach and she was lying by the driver's side door.

Her younger "sister" could not have been happier to take over the reins.

My last retiree and current dog on the path to retirement are more stressed to be left behind in the truck and completely anxious if I leave the house without them.

The problem with hunting dogs is never seem to know when to quit no matter their age. Our oldest is 13 and this will be her first year of retirement. I suspect it will not go well on my first attempt to leave her home. We have discussed this within our family and the plan is once I’ve left with the other dogs, a family member will take the oldest dog to a burger drive through restaurant and order them both a burger. Then a trip to the park by the lake to enjoy their meal. I suspect the second time I leave, she will hang out hoping she gets another burger if she hangs back.

As long as I'm still able to do it from a health and time stand point I guess. I'm about half your age though, so I feel like I still have a lot of years left. I started when I was 16.

Right now health is not an issue but time is. A full time job, a family, a house, hobbies, and a lot of other crap to do limits my time afield. Plus an 11.5 year old dog now.

The fact that you're still able to bird hunt at 74 is pretty impressive. Father Time catches up with everyone at some point.
Try hunting when you're my age...85 - 86 in January.

For me, it is when he cannot physically do even a small push.
I witnessed a 14 yr old lab make her final wild pheasant retrieve last season.
She passed this last Easter.
I say hunt them as long as they have the drive, just tailor the hunt for them.

Back