Asking advice please

bknight

I have a young but biddable setter that did pretty good on her first pheasant hunt last year, but I still am not comfortable hunting with someone else who might not be a understanding of her as I am. Coming from Georgia, it would be a lot to ask of someone else to pay for half a trip to hunt in S.D., and have them unhappy. I do not think it will happen but still I'm still training her and need to be able to make the "calls" so to speak. Last Year as she turned six and a half months of age, I hunted her by myself and took several pheasants in Nebraska and a few in Kansas. I would like to get her into some more this year.

Is it possible to camp in a popup there during say the second week of season and is there any public land I could hunt? How difficult is it to find hunting spots that one man and his dog could hunt? Are there any quail? It would be my wife and I and the dog. She doesn't hunt but stayes in the car and will pick me up at the other end so to speak.

Any advice would be appreciated. I would likely be coming from near Lincoln, NE as I have good friends there. We can stand camping with the temps in the low twenties.... and I know it gets cold there...er make that COLD! Oyster stew works real good to put so heat into you! LOL

When could I get Info from the state about this also?

Here's a picture of my dog and a limit we took in NE! She was six and a half mos old. It was her fourth day of hunting. Killed two first day and quit as I thought there were not many birds there and didn't want to deplete them. Hunted elsewhere for two dads only flushing one cock each place and no shot. Went back to my friends place and put up enough to limit out by
8:30 AM. I was proud! Haven't posted a pic on this board and not sure it will be here.

Last edited:
State Parks

Look at any state park in good pheasant distribution areas.
They have sleeper cabins (have heat), about $30/night, you can use the shower facilities and cook over camp fire. Or just use the primitive sights, the camp ground is empty that time of the year.

If you need more specifics send a PM.

I had forgotten to mention that I am currently recovering from ruptured Achilles tendon surgery, and the Doctor says I might be able to walk a couple of miles by November. I'm hoping to beat that but it is a slow go! Thanks for your help!

Back