As Pheasants Disappear, Hunters in Iowa Follow

Hey!

Hello Nate,

Are you changing up the game? I am usually the guy that takes to potential doom and gloom route and you point out the positives and what is going right.

I am willing to change if you are so here goes:

The first positive I see is that we are talking about bird pops. on a national level. Great! We have complained for years (in state) with nothing happening so I see the national debate as positive.:)

Secondly, we are now in the first week of January and we have only experienced one blizzard. Even though it was a rough one and put the hurt on pheasant hunting, if we continue to creep towards Spring with no other significant storms Ralphie Ringneck will reward us this Spring with higher bird pops.:)

Third, I along with you and others like us will never stop hunting the birds we love. I may travel in and out of state more, see less, spend more $$$ and sleep in strange beds but that potential flush and later meal continue to push me to load Sophie and head for the cover! We are not the only ones like this! My son is there, his future son will be and so on!:)

I am usually the harbinger of doom and gloom because I love the traditions, culture and sport of pheasant hunting! I have faith in the future because of my history. We are slowly coming out of the Pheasant Cliff!:)

Hang in there friend!:)

Last edited:
Hello Nate,

Are you changing up the game? I am usually the guy that takes to potential doom and gloom route and you point out the positives and what is going right.

I am willing to change if you are so here goes:

The first positive I see is that we are talking about bird pops. on a national level. Great! We have complained for years (in state) with nothing happening so I see the national debate as positive.:)

Secondly, we are now in the first week of January and we have only experienced one blizzard. Even though it was a rough one and put the hurt on pheasant hunting, if we continue to creep towards Spring with no other significant storms Ralphie Ringneck will reward us this Spring with higher bird pops.:)

Third, I along with you and others like us will never stop hunting the birds we love. I may travel in and out of state more, see less, spend more $$$ and sleep in strange beds but that potential flush and later meal continue to push me to load Sophie and head for the cover! We are not the only ones like this! My son is there, his future son will be and so on!:)

I am usually the harbinger of doom and gloom because I love the traditions, culture and sport of pheasant hunting! I have faith in the future because of my history. We are slowly coming out of the Pheasant Cliff!:)

Hang in there friend!:)
YES! It worked! Welcome to my side! :thumbsup:

Honestly though . . . I am concerned about the sports sustainability. I do not envision my kids having enough of an opportunity to carry our traditions forward as I desire. I hope I'm wrong.

You are a sneaky one my friend!:)

I believe from all of the convos we and others have had here that you know I am also concerned about the future and our traditions to pass on. For me the future will be different than what we know. Fewer numbers and tougher land access are a certainty for me. It is what I have witnessed this past decade or so. Habitat will continue to decline. The biggest reason for this is the change of our world pops. and the demand for grains. We will not see a market crash for agriculture like we have in the past. Of course there will be ups and downs but no crashes in the future. Worldwide food demands will continue to push growers to produce more food. More demand needs more supply and habitat loses on the supply side.

Probably best to educate your children about the experience and dog work. Family and friends in field. Limits will not happen as often, empty harvest days and such. If your children focus on the other aspects that we know pheasant hunting provides, then they will never be disappointed!:)

You are right. Additionally . . .

I think the low number of birds is affecting the number of interested hunters – but I see other dynamics having more of an impact. First, the extra-curricular activities for kids on weekends has exploded vs. when I was a kid. We’re all busy doing other things and young kids just aren’t getting exposed to hunting – and thus aren’t interested when they become adults. Also, there continues to be a significant migration of people from the rural areas to the cities. Small towns and farms are going away . . . and the hunters that grew up there are gone. Finally, I’ve seen a shift to more bow hunting for deer . . . which takes guys away from pheasant hunting.

You are right. Additionally . . .

but I see other dynamics having more of an impact. First, the extra-curricular activities for kids on weekends has exploded vs. when I was a kid. We’re all busy doing other things and young kids just aren’t getting exposed to hunting – and thus aren’t interested when they become adults. QUOTE]

Bingo...

If they arent in extra curr activities, they playing games with their fingers and thumbs.

bird numbers did have a bit of a bump this year but still suck:(. most land owners are greedy money grubbers :D. but a possible light at the end of the tunnel was the room full of young people that attended the hunter safety course this fall with my daughter. :cheers:

Well here we are, 1st week of March, and hammered with 2 snow storms in a week, :(not what we wanted to happen for Ralphie Ringneck's sake. Here in northern Illlinois I'm looking at 14" on the ground, probably similar #s in Iowa. A far drastic change in weather pattern from last years' unseasonably warm winter and spring. Only good to come from this is moisture and nitrogen added to the soil for habitat growth. Let's hope this stuff melts fast...for Ralphie's sake.

Well here we are, 1st week of March, and hammered with 2 snow storms in a week, :(not what we wanted to happen for Ralphie Ringneck's sake. Here in northern Illlinois I'm looking at 14" on the ground, probably similar #s in Iowa. A far drastic change in weather pattern from last years' unseasonably warm winter and spring. Only good to come from this is moisture and nitrogen added to the soil for habitat growth. Let's hope this stuff melts fast...for Ralphie's sake.

Our birds (N.IL) are doing fine at this point. Birds were looking good. Most are still bunched up (hen/rooster groups). I'm guessing they'll be spreading out within another week or two.

I think we have a warm up coming later in the week. So far, it's looking like our birds got away with another "easy" winter.:thumbsup:

Our birds (N.IL) are doing fine at this point. Birds were looking good. Most are still bunched up (hen/rooster groups). I'm guessing they'll be spreading out within another week or two.

I think we have a warm up coming later in the week. So far, it's looking like our birds got away with another "easy" winter.:thumbsup:
Saw a group of 7 hens crossing the road in N W Boone County Sunday afternoon:thumbsup:

I have hunted Iowa for 20 years- loss of cover, wet springs =loss of pheasants, lost income for state and local communities. I still hunt on friends farms in Iowa, BUT group of us have been going to S.D. (U-Guide for 2013) Sure do hope the loss of cover and HIGH corn and soybean $$$ = loss of pheasants in S.D. Buying pen raised birds and working the dog is ok BUT nothing like hunting wild birds !!!

Back