Arizona Quail Hunt 23-24 Season

Riverman

I am curious how other folks hunting in AZ this year did for Quail?

Hunting for Gambels in AZ this year was pretty decent for me. Before going I had heard that it was not a good year so I was pleasantly surprised. In fact after I got down there and hunted I texted several friends to tell them to get down there and check out some good quail hunting. I spent about 10 days in the Tonto Basin and north-of-Tucson area in January and got into a fair number of birds. I was going to chase Mearns quail down by Patagonia area, but decided not to after I heard reports of people hunting for days with no flushes. I have had pretty good luck in this area before for Mearns, but not during the 2022-2023 season when I hunted three days without a single flush. I hunt a labrador so that is part of the "problem" but she still finds them when they are there. I hunted some areas in SE AZ for Scaled quail and I got a few, but it was not as good as previous years. Still fun to shoot some of those little running birds!!

I actually saw many coveys of Gambels with 50-100 birds each in the Tonoto Basin area this year, which was the most birds I have seen in that country for the last 15 years. I think a pointing dog would work better to hold those birds in larger coveys, or maybe not, hard to tell. Was still nice to see several hundred birds every day. I hunted about 4-5 hours per day and killed about 5-8 each day. The area north-of-Tucson wasn't quite as good, but it was certainly better than in some years past.

I live in UT so it is pretty nice to have good quail hunting relatively close, especially since Bobwhite numbers are so poor all over. I still get a few Bobs in NE, but they are scattered.

With any luck, and some good rain storms the good number of birds will lead to a good hatch and good numbers for next season!! Good luck.

Attachments

• Camas AZ quail 1-2024 2.JPG
    Camas AZ quail 1-2024 2.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Camas AZ quail 1-2024.JPG
    Camas AZ quail 1-2024.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • Gambels quail AZ 1-2023.JPG
    Gambels quail AZ 1-2023.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • LA Woodcock 2- 2024.JPG
    LA Woodcock 2- 2024.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
I am curious how other folks hunting in AZ this year did for Quail?

Hunting for Gambels in AZ this year was pretty decent for me. Before going I had heard that it was not a good year so I was pleasantly surprised. In fact after I got down there and hunted I texted several friends to tell them to get down there and check out some good quail hunting. I spent about 10 days in the Tonto Basin and north-of-Tucson area in January and got into a fair number of birds. I was going to chase Mearns quail down by Patagonia area, but decided not to after I heard reports of people hunting for days with no flushes. I have had pretty good luck in this area before for Mearns, but not during the 2022-2023 season when I hunted three days without a single flush. I hunt a labrador so that is part of the "problem" but she still finds them when they are there. I hunted some areas in SE AZ for Scaled quail and I got a few, but it was not as good as previous years. Still fun to shoot some of those little running birds!!

I actually saw many coveys of Gambels with 50-100 birds each in the Tonoto Basin area this year, which was the most birds I have seen in that country for the last 15 years. I think a pointing dog would work better to hold those birds in larger coveys, or maybe not, hard to tell. Was still nice to see several hundred birds every day. I hunted about 4-5 hours per day and killed about 5-8 each day. The area north-of-Tucson wasn't quite as good, but it was certainly better than in some years past.

I live in UT so it is pretty nice to have good quail hunting relatively close, especially since Bobwhite numbers are so poor all over. I still get a few Bobs in NE, but they are scattered.

With any luck, and some good rain storms the good number of birds will lead to a good hatch and good numbers for next season!! Good luck.
I'm not sure who said the Gambels were down this year, it was an amazing year for them. I'm in Colorado and we had an actual hunt-able population which is not very common.

I did spend a month plus in southern Arizona, chasing desert quail. Rumor had it Gambels were decent populations, scaled were way down due to drought. I found cover very bare even in ungrazed areas. The hunting was slightly better than the previous season but only marginally.

Attachments

• IMG_5072.jpeg
    IMG_5072.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5095.jpeg
    IMG_5095.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: zia
Back