Are you staying home?

I'm with the "No Way" crowd. Missed 1 year out of the last 16 and promised myself, never again.

Attachments

• Dipper 1.jpg
    Dipper 1.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 11
Thinking this might be my first year finally. And thinking of buying a diesel when everyone starts selling them due to the high prices. I guess you can say i don't let the prices influence my decisions lol!

As far as the high costs go, I figure I got room for 5 in my truck, if your ass is sitting in one you're paying your 1/5 of the fuel bill like everyone else. Or cover some other cost to pull your weight.

As far as the high costs go, I figure I got room for 5 in my truck, if your ass is sitting in one you're paying your 1/5 of the fuel bill like everyone else. Or cover some other cost to pull your weight.
No dude you will have room for 3 guys and gear if your lucky😉 5 guys in your truck and you will be pulling a uhaul.

No dude you will have room for 3 guys and gear if your lucky😉 5 guys in your truck and you will be pulling a uhaul.
Lots of room for gear in the bed. We were able to get all 3 dogs and gear for 5 under the camper shell last January when we went to Kansas. We pack light lol!

Patrick F. McManus once wrote about a three-man tent that he purchased. Upon setting it up, he realized that, indeed, three pygmies on relatively good terms could share the tent. It's all how bad you want it!!
McManus sure brings up lots of good memories from when I was a kid reading his “stories” at the back of magazines. Thanks for bringing his name up. Don’t recall ever seeing any about 3 pygmies and a 3 person tent.

McManus sure brings up lots of good memories from when I was a kid reading his “stories” at the back of magazines. Thanks for bringing his name up. Don’t recall ever seeing any about 3 pygmies and a 3 person tent.
He probably used the super offensive term "midgets" back when you could say "midget" & people wouldn't get all offended.

Last edited:
I remember it also, it was pygmies. Brings back great memories, he wrote good stuff, always made me laugh. Is he still alive?

I remember Pat McManus’ rule on tents was that a four man tent was two man tent; a two man tent was a one man tent; and a one man tent was “no tent at all”, lol.

No way will I stay home. With gas & groceries so high, gotta pinch pennies somewhere. Those free roosters will really help ease the pain at the pump.
Free roosters? Laughingly that sounds like government math. If you want to scare yourself, calculate the per pound cost of those birds using total expenditures divided by the number of pounds of free roosters you shot. It will scare you. One of our party hunted a week in KS a long time ago and killed one quail. We referred to it as the $10,000 a pound quail. I flew to a NM elk hunt in 2017 and brought home 180# of elk meat. Just using the flight and guide fee, the meat was $43 a pound. I would do it again in a heart beat.

Free roosters? Laughingly that sounds like government math. If you want to scare yourself, calculate the per pound cost of those birds using total expenditures divided by the number of pounds of free roosters you shot. It will scare you.
My comment was made 10000% tongue-in-cheek. Even though I live within an hour & a half of almost all my pheasants, I'm well aware they're anything but inexpensive.

Even though I live within an hour & a half of almost all my pheasants, I'm well aware they're anything but inexpensive.
Same. I'm about 65 miles one way from all of my pheasant hunting, so there's no lodging or meal expenses. I actually think its pretty reasonable for me to have the kind of hunting that I do and be able to sleep in my own bed after every hunt.

Back