Archers check your arrows

Toad

As archery deer season approaches, just want to remind all the archers out there to check your arrows and throw out any that show signs of being structurally compromised, and make sure you are using the correct arrows for your draw length. :thumbsup:

I did a pretty stupid move on Friday that cost me a trip over to urgent care for X-rays and stitches...:eek:

My daughter was shooting her bow while we waited for the school bus Friday morning. After she got picked up I decided I would shoot mine for a few minutes. Stupidly, I just put my arrows into the same bucket as hers, thinking I couldn't possibly grab one of hers by mistake since they're about 4" shorter than mine. Well, I did.:rolleyes:

The arrow shattered instantly when I released it, I'm guessing it got hung up on the bow since it is too short for my draw length... Anyway, it shattered, and the back half of the arrow was driven into the "meat" of my left hand. I also have a dark bruise about the size of an apple on my forearm.:eek:

You know when something hurts so bad you are afraid to look at it because you know it's going to be really bad and you are afraid of how bad it might be??? Yep, that's how I felt. Anyway, check your arrows. That's all I'm saying.
:cheers:

Geez Toad. Heal up man. I guess it could have always been worse with your face being up-close-and-personal with that arrow. Best of luck this coming season;)

Nick

I had an employee a few years ago that didn't check an arrow (it had hit something solid and cracked) it exploded on release. The doctors spent hours removing the shrapnel from his hand. It was bad...

I feel for you man. Hope things heal quick!

I had an employee a few years ago that didn't check an arrow (it had hit something solid and cracked) it exploded on release. The doctors spent hours removing the shrapnel from his hand. It was bad...

I feel for you man. Hope things heal quick!

Afterward, my friends sent me a bunch of pics they found on the internet. Holy COW! I got out of it incredibly lucky. Like 1pheas4 said, I feel very fortunate nothing went in my eyes as well.

Thanks all! The swelling in my left hand is nearly gone and the bruises are starting to lighten up. The hand is still a little tender when I try to grip things, but I guess that is to be expected. :laugh: Looks like I'll have a little souvenir,a half-moon scar to remind me to be more careful from now on. :rolleyes:

I was shooting arrows this morning and I've also been fortunate that my bow seems to be just fine. Even the sight is still on target. Deer beware!

david0311

Thanks all! The swelling in my left hand is nearly gone and the bruises are starting to lighten up. The hand is still a little tender when I try to grip things, but I guess that is to be expected. :laugh: Looks like I'll have a little souvenir,a half-moon scar to remind me to be more careful from now on. :rolleyes:

I was shooting arrows this morning and I've also been fortunate that my bow seems to be just fine. Even the sight is still on target. Deer beware!

Thanks for the heads up--glad it was no worse:):)--How ever if your friends are like mine once they find out there is no permanent damage--and your healed up you will never hear the end of it:rolleyes:

How ever if your friends are like mine once they find out there is no permanent damage--and your healed up you will never hear the end of it:rolleyes:

Almost but not quite like showing off the proud scars from a shark attack or grizzly bear. lol

In my circle, I had a lot of street cred as the most capable outdoorsman in the group... A little BS talking wouldn't bother me in the least, I deserve it. I just hope they don't start thinking of me as some hapless buffoon. That would suck... :laugh:
:cheers:

Back